When do puppies start on food?

I have a large black lab that had 6 pups on Feb.16. And she is bone thin even after 3 large feedings a day. At almost 5 weeks, can these puppies be started on dog food?
the pups were large babies and are healthy and fat.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Pets

• I agree with the 1st two answers. Puppies should be introduced to puppy food (either canned pup food or hard puppy food softened with water) at 4 weeks old. They may not understand what they are suppose to do with this new food at first. You may have to use your finger and put some of the food in their mouth, or you can dip their mouths into the food. This will allow them to taste the food and they will eventually dive right in when you feed them. Always take mom out of the area when you feed them. You can start taking mom away for several hours during the day once you start feeding them pup food.

bookay

Answer by bookay at 3:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Yes...solids actually could've been started (tasted) around 4 weeks. What kind of food are you feeding her? premium puppy food helps her consume the extra calories needed to nurse her puppies and herself!
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 2:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Yes.  I used to breed dogs and I started my pups on puppy food (softened with water) at 4 weeks.  I didn't wean them until 8 weeks, but they were always given 2 meals a day of softened puppy food a day when they turned 4 - 5 weeks old. 
    It will also help your momma dog if you give her puppy food to eat, it is better for a pregnant/nursing mother to be on puppy food for the added nutrition!

Anonymous

• I always had canned food on a paper plate, readily available at 3 weeks, plus puppy food softened in water or milk.

Nursing mothers do better on puppy food too because of the added vitamins! you might consider supplementing her too, with a cheap vitamin that you can buy at walmart!

gl!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:50 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• thanks guys, i have had her on a premium adult dog food with a 24% proteing content, and then switched to puppy food. i started the pups on puppy food the day i posted this, so mom should start getting some of her weight back now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Mar. 25, 2009