Hello,I need some advice. My 9 year old Brooke has a friend at school (Maive) who won't speak to her. Brooke has apologized to Maive several times without a reply. Brooke comes home from school (3rd grade) and says "Mommy, I feel like crying, I don't know what I did wrong and Maive won't speak to me." My heart breaks for her and I don;t know how to help her or what to say.. I suggested forgetting about it but Brooke can't seem to forget. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Tha

Brooke55

Asked by Brooke55 at 2:57 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Sometimes it isnt easy for kids to realize that a problem is forgivable. Make sure she has fun without Maive. She will realize that there are other people to hang out with and Maive will most likely realize that the fight wasnt a big deal.

Try contacting Maives mother. Chances are she is just upset and the girls just need to learn how to communicate better.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Perhaps you can try contacting the other young girl's mother? Maybe she can talk to her daughter and find out what happened. You can also talk to the teacher if all else fails.
    Unfortunately, some kids can be mean and as sad as it is, this is something common among kids that young. I don't know what else to say but you can continue to comfort your little girl and encourage her to find a better friend (s) who won't be petty.
    Miss-Baby-Baker

Answer by Miss-Baby-Baker at 9:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Why does it really matter so much? Is it really so important that this other girl "likes" your daughter? Does she really need this "approval" for her self-esteem? This is one of those opporturnities for you to teach you daughter that she will not like everyone and everyone will not like her - and it is ok. She can't make people like her. People can't make her like them. The only thing she absolutely has to do is be kind and curtious to others even those who don't like her. If the girl doesn't want to talk right now, fine. She doesn't have to. We can't always step in and mediate just to save our most precious children hurt. We don't save them from it no matter what we do. We can teach them how to cope when it comes, and isn't that ultimately the most important lesson we can teach?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Maybe your daughter did something without knowing it... or i read someone elses question on here that was about a mean girl and how one girl became friends with her and then started ignoring the girl that the other girl was mean to.. maybe your daughter is one of the girls people are mean to.. i hope you get it worked out.. i would suggest getting the girls together also..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 5:10 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• These things do happen....and as much as you want to solve the problem for your child, you can't always do it. I would try to show your daughter that she can have fun without that one particular girl. Invite another friend over to play....let her find out that life goes on, because these things do happen quite a bit as girls grow up. It is a balancing act because you want to show empathy and sympathy but not so much that you lead her to believe it really is the end of the world!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:13 AM on Mar. 25, 2009