This might be a silly one for us here at CM but I really need help. Getting ready to buy a riding lawn mower for dh.

I have no clue as to what kind or anything about them but I want to get dh one for our anniversary. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

mom_wrhsc

Asked by mom_wrhsc at 2:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Home & Garden

• my hubby loved his scagg but they are pretty expensive
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• brigs and stratton are reliable.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 3:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My strong suggestion is to let him have the "fun" of shopping around for one, getting a good price, and buying it. My husband bought a lawn tractor last year and researched it and studied which had which motor and whether it was a steel block or whatever and the repair record, and I don't know what all, but it was all-engrossing for him, and I would never have been interested or knowledgable about such things- any more than I am about a car. If you like cars and know about them and like researching riding mowers and can tell if a salesperson is telling you the straight story then go for it. Otherwise write him a check or give him the cash for the most expensive that you see advertized and let him have the pleasure, and with my husband it was a great pleasure- of shopping and buying.

Answer by Bmat at 3:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• thats what Ive heard..scagg is great. look for zero turn in any mower and it will cut the grass faster.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I agree with Bmat. Don't spare him the joy of getting what he really wants. I would do some pricing and put aside the money, and make some kind of a creative "gift certificate" to put in his birthday card explaining that his present is a ride-on mower, and he gets to pick out which one he wants.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• my dh got a torro? its great but it blew a belt after a month and took 2 months to get a replacement no one had it it was annoying. but thats the only proublm he has had and he really looks cute and happy when hes cutting the lawn.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 6:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2009