Please help.

Can you help me out on something? Brooke's (my daughter 9 yr old) friend (Maive) at school is not speaking to her and Brooke's feelings are very hurt. Brooke says she has aplogized to Maive several times to the girl but Maive will not speak to her. Brooke says she feels like crying every day and I do not know how to help her. Do you have any advice?

Brooke55

Asked by Brooke55 at 2:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Try talking to Maive's parents, see if they can find a reason why she is not talking to you daughter.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Sometimes there are problems that young girls may not want to tell thier mothers. You may not know the whole story of why Maive is truely angry with Brooke. Instead of trying to fix the problem with Maive why not just try to make Brooke less upset about it. Mention a friend who hasnt been over in a while. Offer to take her and another friend shopping, to a movie, or to the beach.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Tell your daughter that she tried, she apologized and if Maive doesn't accept then that is Maive's problem not hers. Maive must not be that good of a friend if she can't accept the apology. She is better off making different friends. Encourage Brooke to concentrate on different friends or to take this opportunity to new friends. You can't fix this problem and Brooke needs to learn that friends come and go and it's ok to feel hurt but she needs to keep making friends. I have had friends that come and go and those aren't necessarily true friends. My true friends stay no matter what, they accept apologies, they work through our differences. We may get mad at each other but we do get over it and our friendship is better for it. Those are special friends.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2009