Am I a bad mom? If I put the baby in her swing for a little bit in the other room, while I take a break...

I will make sure she is secure in the swing and I am less than 10 feet from her... I just feel so awful. I was thinking about doing it, but I haven't cause I feel like I am not being a good mother. Does anyone else do this? I have just been home for 6 weeks straight and want to take a break sometimes or just clean something in the house. lol I just want to know what other moms do...

Amber727

Asked by Amber727 at 3:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If this would make a person a bad mom, then no good mom could ever have 2 kids!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:27 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Why do you think that would make you a bad mom??
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 3:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• if shes not screaming her head off and shes content in her swing and you have strapped in its ok to wander to the kitchen to clean or start a load of laundry.
    You cant just sit around and hold your baby all day. thats not realistic.
    Anonymous

• nope, your a GREAT mom for taking the break that you deserve. Just turn on you monitor...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• go for it, she will be fine
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 3:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I do that too. Its the only way I can get things done. He wants me to hold him all day but thats unrealistic. In fact right now hes in his swing while im folding some laundry
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 3:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I'd say put a monitor in the room where she is and carry the other part or set it somewhere you can hear it.... as long as she's happy and you pop in and out, then I don't see it as a big deal. I wouldn't leave her there for LONG unless she fell asleep then a little longer would be okay.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 3:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• That doesnt make you a bad mom at all. You need a break. As long as she's safe and secure then I dont see a problem. You dont need to hold her all the time, some down time is good for her too.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 3:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• WHAT!!YOU ARE GONNA DO WHAT! Okay, totally kidding, yeah I do that all the time! I would never get anything done if I didn't . I have three other kids to deal with, laundry, bills, and regular hous work on top of it. Don't feel bad.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 3:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Nope that does not make you a bad mom!
    Moms need breaks to. And if it means leaving the baby in the swing for a few mins then thats fiine. As long as they are strapped in & not in danger its okay. Sometimes its better to take a few mins to yourself then to get so frustrated you get grumpy with the baby
    mrslloyd

Answer by mrslloyd at 3:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2009