I have a 9 yr. old has an additude for outings?

My son is nine yrs old. He is a sweet boy with a big heart who is a friend to all. He's helpful and kind when he's at home. He's such a homebody! When were going out to town to shop or whatever he completely flips his additude. He starts rolling his eyes at me telling me continuisly that he wants to go home and if he has to walk he will.............it's like good go then! I am upset because staying at home is not life! Part of going out to stores and visiting grandmas houses is what we have to do. I do get fed up and now it's getting to the point where he pouts around while were visiting someones home and he just walks around not socialble. Hes not depressed, he has friends, hes good in school and just likes being at home. Is this healthy? What suggestions can anyone give me to this problem or is it just helpless........hmmm?

sholie

Asked by sholie at 3:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Have you sat him down and asked him why he has such a hard time with going places and being cheerful about it? Maybe he is having some anxieties he does not share with you??
    My son is nine and is a social butterfly and loves going places but every once in a while he will gripe about going shopping or something and I tell him to get over it and straighten up and he gets the clue pretty fast because he knows there are consequences for being a snot.. If he were like that all the time though I would be worried.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:31 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• sounds like my 9 yr old when we go out-- "im bored"-- as he leans against a shelf-- "cant we go yet?"-- i was hoping it was an age thing-- so, sorry, i have no advise, but i can sympathize
    Anonymous

• My son would rather stay home too. He has an anxiety disorder and he does panic when there are too many people around. I limit his time in crowded places because of this but he still has to go to grandparents,etc. I talk to him beforehand about what our plans are for the day and what he has to do. I also watch while we are out for signs that he is starting to get uncomfortable and get him out before he panics. Sit down and talk to him about why he doesn't like going places and go from there.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I had our 9 yr old pay for her own babysitter once...just once because that's all it took.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 7:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2009