How much $ should I give her?

My SIL is going to be watching my kids while dh & I go on a 'business' vacation. I will be gone for a week. She will be staying @ my house and I will have it stocked w/ enough food for my kids and hers. I will need her to drive the three youngest to and from to and from school. My kids and hers go to the same school. She will be using my car, which I will have fully gassed up, b/c her car won't fit everyone. I have arranged for my oldest to get a ride w/ a friend. She hasn't asked for any money, but I just don't feel right about not paying her for taking care of them for me. So how much would you suggest I pay her?

4monkees

Asked by 4monkees at 3:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Try 50.. thats what i would do...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I would probably go higher, like at least $100 and get her a great souvenir from your *ahem* "business" vacation.... lucky!! ;)
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 3:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• At minimum $100, if not more. If she won't take it spend it on her kids, get her a gift card for a massage, buy her some cool souvenirs. Get her something you know she likes but won't get for herself.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:27 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Personally for me if that was my sister
    I would not pay her....
    I would leave money on the table for her if she needs it...
    I would leave atleast 100..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I'd say $100- $150.. just because she will be living in your house out of her comfort zone ya know? It would be like paying a normal babysitter.... even tho they are at your house & just watching the kids they still get paid. Or discuss it with her & see what she thinks.
    have fun!
    mrslloyd

Answer by mrslloyd at 3:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• When I stayed with a family's two children for a week, I received $500. Since she is family, I would say that that much is probably not needed, but like many of the OP's have said - at the very least $100 is appropriate.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• If you haven't offered money and she hasn't asked for it, I assume she probably isn't expecting to be paid. But, I think it is a lot to ask without paying someone unless you are able to return the favor to her fairly quickly! You will be gone for a whole week....and that is a very long time! I think you should definitely leave emergency money with her for the week because even though the house is stocked and the tank is full, you really never know. I am kind of surprised about the low amounts people are suggesting...I would think 250.00-500.00 would be more like it. But this is family....so it really depends on how things are done in your family. I think you should offer her the most you can afford, and the only way you should honestly let her refuse to take the pay is if you will be doing her a comparable favor in the very near future. This is a vacation for you, not a hospital stay or something like that...
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 4:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• OP Here- I should have added that she goes w/ her husband on his business trips fairly often. She usually only stays for 2-3 days @ a time and I always take her kids. She has given me checks for $20, but I have never cashed them. Not sure if that changes anyone's opinion.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 4:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I'd get her a spa g.c. and offer to babysit her kids while she uses it to pamper herself!
    Anonymous

• I would do 100 dollars and a gift certificate to a nice dinner out for her and her dh.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 4:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2009