induction question

if you are induced with pitocin (which i've heard makes contractions come stronger and closer together) can you request to get the epidural first? or does it not work that way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't think they usually give the epidural until labor is underway with the pitocin.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• i was induced with pitocin and i got my epidural early enough that i wasnt in a lot of pain. the only pain i actually felt was when my epidural wore off (i had to get more) and when i was pushing him out. if you have any questions, feel free to send me a message
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Yes, you can request the epidural first.

Some hospitals won't, but I know my hospital would because I have had a few friends who've gone through that.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I had an epidural one time and then was given pitocin after. They seemed pretty liberal to give me the epidural early this last time too, the only thing was it wore off and I ended up pushing with out one. But is was no big deal she was my fourth and I was pro by then!lol
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 3:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I actually think you need to be 4 or 5 cm before you get the epidural.... being induced up until that point isn't awful. It does make the contractions stronger but you will make it until they can give you the epi
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• From my understanding and a few friends experiences that I knowof ..the epidural can wear off. I was induced and delivered in about a 6hr time period. I've heard that it can take longer or less time. My concern would be if you got the epidural first then it may wear off before you deliver and the pain in the end is so much worse than the pain in the beginning. Btw I got my epidural at 5cm...but could of gotten it at 4cm. Good Luck and Congrats!
    danni33

Answer by danni33 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Ive been induced twice, first time i got the epi when i was 3 cm so i only felt like 15 minutes of minor contractions.. second time i moved sooo slow they didnt give it to me till i was 6 cm. They dont like to give it to soon beacuse sometimes pitocin doesnt always make labor progress as fast as you think. in my case the second time after 8 hours on pit and only moving 2 cm they stopped all meds waited 3 hours and then started it all again. then i was able to get it
    mom2maddyhunter

Answer by mom2maddyhunter at 8:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2009