What's one piece of advice you would give a pregnant mother who's nursing a child under 1 yr old?

My sil is nursing and pregnant, and asked me if I could find some advice for her. I thought instead of only printing off articles for her I'd go straight to people who have had experience with it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The 1 piece of advice i can think of is...get on the pill after your baby is born. LOL I really have no experience with that...it was just what came to mind :)
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My DD was 6 months when I got pg. She still hadn't started solids. I suffered a GREAT supply dropage I assume from not drinking enough water. I started making mothers milk tea by the gallon and keeping it in the fridge like iced tea. I would drink that ENTIRE gallon each day. My DD went down to nursing jsut a couple times per day because my milk was drying up. I'm now 29 weeks pregnant and lmy milk is coming back. She is nursing twice per day but not getting much, mostly just for comfort. I assume she will pick back up to nursing more when my new baby comes and the milk comes back. I would just encourage her not to wean when the baby slows down on nursing so much, because s/he will most likely resume nursing when the milk comes back. and make sure she is getting enough calories. Best of luck to her and congrats!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 3:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Take care of herself, and weaning is not necessary unless she is at risk for pre term labor.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I got PG with number 2 when I was nursing a 9 month old. Hang in there! Ignore people who think you are crazy for continuing to nurse while PG.

I made it about half way through my pregnancy until my toddler was 14 months. There is a big variation in women as to how much milk supply will drop and when, same for sensitive nipples.

For a collection of articles on-line she can read go to: http://www.llli.org/NB/NBpregnancy.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I haven't done that myself but being pregnant all by itself takes a lot of energy and more calories and so does breastfeeding in itself. So my suggestion would be to make sure she is getting plenty of rest, water and eating enough good foods.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Nutrition nutrition nutrition!!!! As long as she is eating well and taking good care of herself then she should be ok. Her body isn't recovered from her previous pregnancy yet so she just needs to take things easy. I personally know many women who tandem nurse though. Expect the older child to hit a growth spurt once the new baby comes, or rather the new baby milk. :o) Tell her to keep up the good work!!
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 1:15 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Let her know it's okay to tandem nurse, but her milk will change, and her baby may reject the breast while she's pregnant (just so she's prepared for it if it DOES happen). She definitely needs to be good about eating good, nutritious foods, and absolutely need to be taking prenatal vitamins. See if there is a local La Leche League chapter, so she can go to a good, reliable resource if she ever needs it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:53 AM on Mar. 25, 2009