Any information on baby acne?

My daughter is 5 weeks and 2 days old and has broken out on both cheeks and around the eyes with what look like little whiteheads that are red around them. They've been there for a few days and have gotten a bit worse. What is causing them? Should I call my pediatrician? I've heard it's normal, but I want to do the right thing for my little girl and not ignore it if it's something that should be treated. Help?

Roosterlady

Asked by Roosterlady at 3:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The breakouts she is experiencing is from your hormones that entered her body while she was in-utero. The amount of time it takes for the baby acne to clear up varies. My son had clear skin until he was nearly four weeks old, and then broke out until he was almost four months old. It was terrible stuff. Angry-looking red bump with white puss. I felt terrible for him, and embarassed at times! Whatever you do, do not, and I repeat, DO NOT pick at them or attempt to pop them. You can apply warm compress, or for extreme cases, epsom salt and warm water on q-tip helps to dry them out. Otherwise, just wash your baby's face twice a day with warm water, and make sure you wipe her cheeks/chin where formula/breastmilk might dribble. It will clear up, it just takes time. But if it looks excessively painful, or fever/change in behavior accompanies this, consult the pediatrician.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 3:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• It is normal. I asked my doc about it, and how long DD was going to have it, and he said hes seen babies have it up until they were 1 yr! Although its unsightly, just leave em be and hopefully theyll go away.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 3:50 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• It'll go away just as fast as it showed up. There is nothing you can do to treat it. I would just make sure you wipe her face with a soft wet rag daily to rinse off oils from our skin - just so you're not irritating it.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I thought my son had acne, it was really a reaction to the Johnson's Products. I switched to Cetaphil (then Dove after 1 year) and he cleared right up. Check with your Dr to be sure if it's acne or not.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Keep her skin clean and it will go away. No worries
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2009