I wonder if a ton of babies died before they did c-sections?

I watch those baby shows on tv a lot and it seems like every other one is a c-section for one reason or another, you know, breech, baby taking to long to come out, not dialating enough, decreased heart rate those kind of things. So what did they do back in the old days? Did all babies and moms not make it? Or did they just have a really hard time. I know there are times when a c-section is detrimental, I guess I just wonder what happened b-4 c-sections.

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I am sure that a lot of women lost babies or died giving birth back in the day. It is sad to think about.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 3:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• What happened before c-sections? The Mothers did die. They mostly bled to death... some delivered breech babies and the baby passed away. Some I'm sure were successful but yes, a lot more women died back then in childbirth. I know this b/c I would have been one of them. I was in labor for 38 hours and he got stuck. Even forceps couldn't get him out, we were minutes away form tragedy ourselves. So when I hear Moms say " Birth is natural.. blah blah, we were made to do this" it frustrates me, yes we were made to but they forget about all the women that didnt make it and the women that CAN'T have a natural birth. Thank God for modern technology. my third c/s is in 3 days! ;o)
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Yes, of course. Babies and mothers have been dying for thousands and thousands of years. Thank goodness for improving technology and expanding knowledge!
    Anonymous

• Mothers or babies died...and docs were sued like crazy. Thank all the sue happy people
    Anonymous

• Anon- Thank all the sue happy people?? That doesn't even make sense, what are you talking about?! Ugh
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 4:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• There are more C-SECTIONS because FAMILIES would SUE the DOCTORS for not INTERVENING....that is why there are so many. B/c of the risk to the doctor for something happening to the baby if there is a complication. Not hard to understand.
    Anonymous

• I recently read a non-fiction book called The Diary of Martha Ballard. She was a midwife during the late 1700's/early 1800's. She actually had a really good death rate (not that many women/babies died in her care.) Doctors were only just starting to deliver babies during that time and she had less deaths than the doctor in her town. It's really an interesting read. There is a table that compares her deaths to another doctor's records from the mid 1800's. She had 5.6% to his 20% of "difficult" births. Maternal deaths were 0 to his 4 at delivery and 5 to his 1 within two weeks. That is total deaths. She performed 814 deliveries and he did 1233. She had 20 neonatal deaths and his information is lacking for that category. She had 14 stillbirths to his 36 making the ratio 1.8/100 to his 3.0/100. There's mention of London and Dublin hospitals during the mid 1800's that had a range of 30-200 maternal mortality per 1000.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Actually c-sections have INCREASED the infant/maternal death rates. The US has one of the highest infant death rates in the developed world (countries like Spain, England, Canada, China, Portugal) and we are second for c-section rates (behind Brazil). If you actually research this stuff the facts overwhelmingly support that we are (respectively) worse off now than before. 95% of our births take place in hospitals, in countries with safer rates 70-80% of births take place at home. Most "high risk" labors aren't really high risk at all. If only women knew they could change positions to un-stick a baby (or prevent to begin with) then I wonder how many would actually consent to an unneccecesrean. We have a ridiculous induction rate, inductions increase the chances for c-sections astronomically. Reduce the inductions to reduce the c-sections to reduce the infant mortality rate.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 1:00 AM on Mar. 25, 2009