pet rats

i have 3 adult rats (2male 1 female) and 8 baby rats(4 females 4 males) i am so much attached to them but its getting hard for me to keep up with them, the cleaning of their cages, feeding and playing with them on a regular schedule due to my pregnancy, i don't really want to give them away and i surely dont want to neglect them, what should i do when i have no one else to care for them for the remainder of my pregnancy (3 more weeks) and a little time after that?

dbarkley101306

Asked by dbarkley101306 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Pets

• I would say it is time to thin the herd out and give them away or sell some of them.
    Anonymous

• I had the same problem but with cats. At one point I had about 6 or 7 cats. Plus with being prego, I couldnt scoop their litter or give them the individual time they needed. I did have to "thin the herd" and it did me a world of good. Although it was super hard to decide who stays and who goes, I know they went to loving homes. I gave them away on craigslist with a rehoming fee, and was able to make some money to pay for the other cats' food for the next month. It really really helped me, and most of all, it helped the cats get the attention and care that they deserve. At least consider it.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 4:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• i did take your advice and post an ad on craigslist for my little rat babies to get a chance at getting a good home and the attention they need, i can't sit here and say who goes or who stays cause i love them all the same, but i know this will be better for us all and who knows maybe i can just get temporary homes for them until i can care for them again like i use to, i know it will be so hard to see them go but its for the best....
    dbarkley101306

Answer by dbarkley101306 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• does your shelter take rodents?some will in special circumstances.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• i have manage to give two away to a couple that has rats of their own, and i am still looking for people to adopt my other ones, i did manage to find a rat rescue place and they are willing to keep my rats till i can care for them again or put them up for adoption for me....
    dbarkley101306

Answer by dbarkley101306 at 10:03 PM on Mar. 27, 2009