How much solid food do YOU feed YOUR 6 month old?

My 6 month old is eating 3 solid meals a day (5 liquid). How much food about should I be feeding her at each meal? I try to let her set the limit, but I'm always not sure.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I do two meals of food a day, with numerous breastfeedings. Their nutrition at this age should still come from mostly milk so I'm not too eager to increase feedings.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I nurse first, then 1/2 hour later I feed dd food until she doesn't want anymore.
    MamaChamp

• i always let her eat till she is done.

in general, she eats 3 jars of 2nd stage baby food a day. sometimes 4. and then 4-6 bottles. 6oz each.

mine is now 8.5 months though. when she was 6 months, i had just started her on baby food, but she quickly went from one jar a day all the way up to 4 lol. when she was having 4 of the stage one foods i moved her up to stage 2 and then she would eat between 2 and 3. now its between 2 and 4 depending on how hungry she is. she also has cereal once a day (with one of her jars of fruit)
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 3:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My dd is 7 month and I can't get her to eat one jar! Once in a while shell eat a jar of squash but that's it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Mine had three meals and three snacks.

Meals were the equivalent of two stage 2 jars and 8oz of formula in a sippy cup.

Snacks were about 8oz of juice/water in a sippy and some finger foods.

I say "equivalent" because we started introducing table foods, so I dice up pieces of our food for them...between a little table foods and baby food it was about two jars worth.

They were HUGE eaters, though.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• At six months our son was getting mostly BM and probably the equivalent of two jars of baby food per day. I say that because he has always ate what we ate after we put it through the grinder.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 7:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My son just had his 6 month well baby visit yesterday, the doctor said a solid feeding should not replace a bottle/breast feeding at this age. He said your baby will let you know when he wants more than just formula, probably 2 or 3 solid feedings a day. I guess i am just lazy, most days I only give him solids around dinner time. I am trying to do it more times a day, planning to work up to 3 times a day.
    beck_9808

Answer by beck_9808 at 8:18 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• We do 1-2 meals a day, and the amount varies, depending on him. It can be anywhere from 2 ounces to maybe 5 at one time.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2009