Help me Deside! Should I keep him?

I currently have a dog that is 12 months old, I've had him since he was 7 weeks. He is a great dog, I love him to death.
Here is the situation:
My family wants to find him a new home because they all want a different breed of dog. The dog that I have is very laid-back and is not very energetic. The family wants a dog that is more active and that can keep up with our activities. They want a dog that can go for long walks (the dog we have now isn't able to walk for very far before he gets too tired out). They want a dog that is also going to be more protective of the family (the dog we have now is NOT protective at all, he would lick an intruder to death instead of alerting the family). Should I part with the dog that we have now, and get a dog that the family will enjoy more? I love the dog we have now, but I also wouldn't mind a dog that is more active. Having 2 dogs is out of the question! Help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Pets

• I can see your reasons for not being happy with the dog. You shouldn't let anyone make you feel guilty about it either. It is an animal, not a child. BIG difference. Though some like to compare the two, there is truly no comparison. Funny, if you ask the same "my pet is my child'" type of person the same form of question in regards to say, a horse, they don't know how to answer it.

If you owned a horse that could not be ridden, would you be justified in looking for one that could? Absolutely!

If your dog cannot keep up with the family on a walk due to it's breed, like a Basset Hound or Pekinese for example. Then there is nothing wrong with finding it a good loving home and looking for a dog that fits the bill.

A responsible pet owner can be responsible in many different ways. And finding the dog a home that better suits IT'S needs is doing just a good a thing as keeping it. Don't let anyone tell you different.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 4:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• The reasons you give don't seem fair to the dog at all. You took him in, and have had him for almost a year. I suppose if you find a good secure home he will be better off, but how do you know he wouldn't protect you? If you don't walk him often, he won't be in shape. How old are your kids? I'd rather have a laid back companion than a high stung dog that is high maintenance. I say keep him. Only if you can treat him right. If you are thinking of taking him to the pound--NO, that is not fair.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 3:48 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Okay first off, when you choose a pet you are making a commitment. I got my beagle from some people that paid $350 for her and the kids decided they wanted a pheasant dog not a rabbit dog. Well, maybe they should have got the bird dog to begin with. Daisy was left out in a kennel with no attention what so ever. I have had her for a year now, and she drives me nuts!! She has destroyed things, kept me up with her whining, and is very hard to train. I knew this would happen when I got her. But I made a commitment. She is a part of our family and we don't trade in family members for new ones. If you don't want that type of animal to begin with, don't get it. What if you don't like the next dog, are you gonna trade that one in? Teaching your kids to be a responsible pet owner is really important. When we constantly get rid of older pets, it's harder and harder for them to find good homes. I guess I don't think it's fair
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 3:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• That is just so mean. Keep that poor little fella. Think about this. Would you do that to one of your own children? Dogs think of themselves as one of the family. I suggest you keep him and tell your family to adjust. Those reasons are just not valid and kinda cruel.
    Anonymous

• Dogs are not always what we expect or do what we want. Thats the beauty of it. They kind of make us love them, so to speak. Here is an article I wrote about my guy. Thought you might like reading about how imperfect he is!

How to read a dog's mind

Keep him and enjoy him, you can always get another dog to keep him company!

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I'm not saying that I am getting rid of him, I was just asking for some input. I would never give him the pound, I would make sure that he is going to a great home. As for walking him, it's not at all that he isn't in shape! He is just a breed of dog that is generally lazy and isn't up to walking long distances. Again, this is something the rest of the family want. I want to be sure that my family is happy also.

Anonymous

• Ummm, I had an unrideable horse when I was ten years old. I wanted to trade her in and My mom made me stick with her and work it out. Turned out to be the best damn horse I ever had....won me a lot of competitions when I got older. I don't think it matters what type of animal you have, you should know what you are getting before you get it and make the commitment that the will be your pet. And I'm not the my animals are my children type either, but I am a strong believer that the only good reason to get rid of a pet is if it's affecting the health of your child or yourself(allergies), turned into a dangerous animal, or causing your family to be unsafe, or truly can't afford to take care of the animal anymore, not just because you are tired of it and want a new one...
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 4:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I agree with Sharon 100%
    I know what she means when she is talking about horses also! I had purchased a horse for riding, and the horse refused to be ridding once I got her home. I rode before I purchased her, and when I got her home she was impossible. I couldn't catch her when she was pastured, and once the saddle was on she turned into devil horse, she WOULD NOT allow anybody to ride her. I did not keep the horse! I sold her to a family that wanted her (not for riding, lol) the wanted another horse to keep their other horse company.
    (continue below)
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 4:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Contined from above
    With that said, if your dog isn't compatible with your family and if the dog is making your family unhappy then find it a good home. It sounds like you like your dog, but that you want everybody in your family to be happy too. I'm not sure what breed you have, but there are some that aren't good with a high energy family.
    Do what you think is best for your family (and for the dog).
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 4:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• You could put an add on Craigslist if you really can't keep it. Many people may want a laid back dog for a pet. Good luck!
    12jilly

Answer by 12jilly at 4:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2009