My son is ten months old.... eating problems.. help!

Okay, my son is ten months old.. he eats four ounces every two hours give or take for naps... in the morning i give him a few tbl spoonfulls of fruit and some cereal, for lunch i try my best to get him to eat meat by mixing it with vegis and a little fruit but sometimes he doesnt eat it and its like pulling teeth gettin him to take a bite! That happens pretty frequently now and im worried he might not be getting the proper nutrition... any advice??

syn84

Asked by syn84 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why not feed him like a vegetarian? Give him the same nutrients meat gives him but from other sources?
    Anonymous

• Do you eat with him? Try eating at the same time baby does. At 10 mo., he can probably handle a lot more table foods than you think. If you make it look super yummy, then he'll naturally want to do what you do. Feed him off of your plate if you have to. Avocado and Banana are great cut up and eat fruits for babies. Squished beans (or pureed) are a great source of protein (just watch the sodium if you get canned). Fish sticks and chicken nuggets are usually pretty popular - just cut them up into small bits. At 9 mo., my daughter was done with pureed food - if she couldn't feed herself, she didn't want to eat. I just went with it...doesn't bother me. =) Have you started him on dairy? Yogurt and white cheeses are another good source of protein and are usually popular choices. I even make mine grilled cheese sandwiches (with a coating of pureed butternut squash for a veggie) and cut them up for her. She loves them!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Babies only need breastmilk or formula for first year. Everything else is just extra. Just let him experiment with the different tastes. If you nake sure he is getting enough formula then that is all he needs. Don't let the solids take away from that.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I just finished a nutrition class, here is what my book recommends for a suggested daily meal plan. for an 8-11 mths old brkfst: 6-8oz formula or breast milk, 2-4tbs cereal, 1-4 fruit and/or veg. lunch and dinner: 6-8oz formula, 2-4tbsps infant cereal, 1-4 tlbsps meat, dry beans, or 1/2-2oz cheese or 1-4tbsps fruit/or veg. snacks for morn and afternoon: 2-4 oz formula 1/2 slice bread or 1-2 crackers. hope this gives u some options.
    danni33

Answer by danni33 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• my 2yr old goes threw the phases where he dont want to eat nothing but cheese or roman noodles....some times all he will want is milk..... i givee him what he wants....he loves his fruits and veggies...and after 2 or 3 days going threw these phases...he eats alot lol
    Anonymous

• Danni33, that seems like a lot of food considering a baby's stomach is about the size of their fist and just the 6oz of formula or BM would fill them up.

OP, as long has he is getting enough formula or BM during the day, everything else is just practice. For the rest of their lives they will go through fazes when one day they will eat something and the next day they won't. Maybe he doesn't like the meat anymore. There are other ways to get protein. Check with your Ped to see if peanut butter or fish are ok. Also cheese and beans are a good source as well.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 7:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I realize what you're saying about it being a lot of food but I listed exactly what my book said. I'm sure there is variation for each child. Some children will eat at the top end of that and some at the lower end. I think if you really sit back and think of what 1 tablespoon looks like, it's really not that much.
    danni33

Answer by danni33 at 10:11 PM on Mar. 24, 2009