bottle feed.... i need help please!!!

i am breastfeeding my 6 weeks old baby girl and i would like to bottle feed her as well, i tried to give her my own milk in a bottle and she wont take it, i just bout 4 different kind of bottles and she wont take any of them, ( i bout playtex drop ins, Dr. brown's, nuck and nuby) maybe i have to keep trying until she get use to or is not the right nipple for her... how do i know if is the right nipple for her and for how long do i have to keep trying the same nipple so i will know that isn't the right one for her and then try with another kind of nipple??? any suggestions of good brands?? help please i have to go back to work wen she turns 3 months i'm planning to pump my milk so she can bottle feed wile i'm working and some people told me that if she doesn't take the bottle until she is 3 months is gonna be even harder for her to take the bottle.. and that she is gonna cry a loot...

pamblaze25

Asked by pamblaze25 at 3:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try the brown colored nipple for the Playtex Drop In System - Natural Latch Nipple. I don't know why, but the brown is better than the clear for both my daughter and the little baby I watch during the day. Both were breastfed and neither will take any other kind of nipple. Good Luck. Also - try having someone else give her the bottle...she knows you have the goods and might be more willing to take a second rate bottle from someone who has no breasts. =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Try to be patient, you still have plenty of time! Only try 1 or 2 times a day. Try ending a feeding at the breast a little early and then see if you can switch to the bottle for the end of the feeding.
    *Try offering the bottle before the baby is likely to be very hungry, before her "usual" feeding time - when she starts to root or suck fingers, crying is a late cue of hunger.
    *Hold the baby lovingly while giving the bottle - seems obvious, but if the adult is frustrated or in a hurry about it, the baby may sense the tension, and refuse
    *Instead of pushing the bottle nipple into the baby's mouth, try laying it near her mouth and allow her to pull it in herself, or tickle the baby's mouth with nipple as many mothers do with the breast.
    *Try running warm water over the bottle nipple to bring it to room temp
    *Try to feed the baby while moving rhythmically - rocking, swaying, or walking, or
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• The same thing happened to me. What I had to do was have have my hubby feed my DS. He still doesn't take a bottle from me and he is 7 months. My son went through 2 different bottles till he found the right one or him and we went with the platex drop in bottles and nipples cause when he took a nuk that was the ones that he took. ALSO my hubby had to hold him like he would be breastfeeding very close to the body. I hope this helps and dont give up.
    1st_timer_31

Answer by 1st_timer_31 at 4:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I don't know if you have been told this already, but you need to be away from her when she gets a bottle. Leave the room, have someone else give her the bottle, she might be more accepting of taking a bottle if someone else gives it to her.

Good Luck!
    asTraySoJouRner

Answer by asTraySoJouRner at 4:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I recently went through the same thing. Starting at 6 weeks I introduced expressed milk in a bottle. DS would arch his back and scream etc. We were just persistant and eventually he would take the bottle (wasn't happy about it but he would). The key was not to give in! He continued this for a good month on a daily basis. He now lunges for the bottle and enjoys it now that he knows he can still nurse when I am not at work. The bottle that worked for us was Born Free ( the nipple surrounding was larger so almost like a breast pressing against him).
    Anonymous

• Here is a great bottle to try... It may make make it easier... Its made for BF babies and my son really likes it.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3115200
    Anonymous

• My son used the Breastflow bottles
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Our second daughter went through this. We ended up using Avent. Once we found a nipple/bottle she liked we didn't have any problem feeding them. Not all babies need to be away from their mom to take a bottle. We were very lucky in that all three of ours just took it and still BF.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 7:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2009