Tough and Painful Question!

After the Natasha Richardson tragedy, it made me ask my husband a difficult question: What do you want me to do if you are brain dead? His answer was shocking! He wants absolutely NOTHING unnatural keeping him alive. I was floored! I'm not sure what I would want. I'm still stuck in "young and invincible" mode.

If you were brain dead, or were requiring life support, what would you want your SO to do?

mmmommy0207

Asked by mmmommy0207 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• donate my organs & pull the plug after everyone's had a chance to say their last words. and ONLY if there is a very small chance i will ever recover.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Pull the plug. Sorry I'm brain dead there is nothing left. I wouldn't want to come out of it if I did and live my life not the same.
    Anonymous

• No, I would not want to be in the state, ever. What you need to think about right now is a Living Will. This gives advanced directives about what you want and don't want done to you. It's terrible that we have to actually think about these things, but they are a reality.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• we have also had this discussion. if the only thing keeping me alive is a machine and there is not a chance of recovery, then i want them to pull the plug. we had wills made up where i also expressed these wishes that way there would be no argument if i were to be in that situation.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Well, if you're brain dead- that's it. There is no coming out of it, etc. As hard as it would be, I'd want them to let me go officially. Take a little time if they need to to come to grips with things, but then- pull the plug.
    Raintree

Answer by Raintree at 4:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I would want to donate my organs and pull the plug.
    Anonymous

• As painful as it would be for me I’d ably by their wishes. Whose benefit are you really doing it for yourself or them in keeping the LO alive?
    Anonymous

• I couldn't pull the plug on DH unless he had a will saying to do so, I couldn't make that choice. I think it's cruel to expect someone to make that choice for you, you know?

And how do you define, "no chance of waking up" etc. ya know?
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 4:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• That's what I mean! If the Dr's are saying there's a good chance, why not hold out for a little while? I even asked him "What if the kids want to say goodbye" and he said "they can say goodbye after I'm gone" Maybe I'm just pregnant and worried over nothing!
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 4:23 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I don't know, I guess you've given me something to think about!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 24, 2009