when should i teach my baby signing?

my son will be 6 months soon...does anyone know when is a good time to introduce signing? and what age he'll actually sign back?

JulesMommy1008

Asked by JulesMommy1008 at 4:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We used the Baby Einstein videos and also taught our two year old to sign some when he was about 8 months old. He didn't start to sign back until he was about a year. I think if we had started earlier and was more consistent, he would have signed earlier.

He still signs for "more" when he's really adamant about getting more of something.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 4:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I sang to my boys from day one and they LOVED it. My kids LOVE to sing they will hear a song on the radio and sing along all the time I think it's just adorable. Your baby probably wont start to sing back to you until he's a bit older..but it doesn't hurt to start teaching them early.
    TaterNJo0sMommy

Answer by TaterNJo0sMommy at 4:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Do it now. The sooner u start the sooner he will sign back. They soak up everything like a sponge at this age. Good luck!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• i'm majoring in sign language, but i don't really know much about baby signing. i know there is a class at our college for moms and babies! look around that could help. what i do know is that the earlier you sign for your baby, the earlier you will see results. even if you think the child isn't paying attention, sign more everytime you say it, sign milk everytime you say it. they'll get it eventually!
    mamalinlin

Answer by mamalinlin at 4:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My son signed "more" and "doggie" at 6 months old. He signs "light on, light off" now. He also has his own hand genstures for things he want. It's pretty amazing. He's 9 months old. I'm hearing-impaired so I sign to him all the time, as well as use spoken words. He seems to understand me quite well when I sign to him without using my voice. He also talks well for his age. I say start introducing it as soon as possible! It is worth it.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 4:17 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Before your question can be answered it is important to kjnow if your child is hearing impaired or has other disabilities/challenges. If he does..start immediately. When you have a challenged child you begin as soon as it is identified. The same as you would a hearing/non challenged child. You don't wait until they are 6-8 months old to begin talking to them. If your child is NOT impaired it is best to wait until their speech developes better..usually around 18-24 months. Otherwise your child will ciommunicate with you in sign and delay speech developement. When you sign always speak to them simotaneously. A challenged child has a beginning in lip reading and for a hearing/non challanges child the sign is reinforced by speech.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Cont'd obviously a hearing impaired Mom/Dad/Sibling will sign to the child, imparied or not, from birth.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• To clarify my response... I was speaking of teaching a child to sign as a full form of communication. Not teaching a child a few words. I also intended to say "MAY" cause speech developement to be delayed.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2009