breastfeeding and teething

my son is 5 months...hes got two teeth on the bottom now and ever since they came in he hasn't been nursing...he doesn't want anything to do with it..is this normal/okay? is there a chance that he will nurse again?will my milk supply stop?

JulesMommy1008

Asked by JulesMommy1008 at 4:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He will nurse again :-) Just consider this a bump in the road.

Extra cuddling, stroking, and skin-to-skin contact with the baby can help you re-establish closeness. Some babies are more willing to nurse when they are sleepy. Sometimes it helps if you are rocking or walking around (in which case a sling or cloth carrier can be useful.) Try nursing in a quiet room with the lights dimmed to avoid distractions. You can also try to stimulate your let-down and get your milk flowing before offering the breast so the baby gets an immediate reward.

You will probably need to express your milk to avoid feeling uncomfortably full, as well as to keep up your milk supply (especially important in a nursing strike that continues for more than a day or two). You can feed the baby your milk with a cup, eye-dropper, feeding syringe, or spoon. Avoid bottles: they can cause nipple confusion.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• If he's not nursing then what is he eating? I don't mean to sound rude at all I am just confused. maggiemom has offered a lot of great advice, try what she has mentioned.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:44 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• it may be a nursing strike.this is normal
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 5:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Just keep offering. A baby will not starve itself. :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Sounds like a nursing strike. If he's hungry enough, he will eat. Unless he starts losing weight, don't worry about supplementing with formula. I agree with maggiemom's suggestions. Hang in there! This is VERY normal (though no less frustrating, I know).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:43 AM on Mar. 25, 2009