advice (VBAC)?

I really want to have a vaginal birth this time. Last time I had an emerg C-section because my son flipped last minute and was breech. I didn't want to opt for a c-section because last time I HAD to have one, and I think if labor just didn't progress or if I opted to have a c-section I would feel like a failure. The doctor said I have really good odds of having a VBAC so I was looking at different websites and I see things like if you have to be induced with petocin it could cause your scar to rip open and all kinds of scary things. I just wanted some advice from any moms who have been there? what should I expect?

LOVE2bMOMMY525

Asked by LOVE2bMOMMY525 at 4:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I chose to have my second one c-section again. But it turned out I had placenta previa anyway. I never felt I had been cheated because I didn't have a VBAC. In fact, I have a lot less problems than my friends who had their babies normally.
    Anonymous

• I'm going for a VBAC this time. My doctors will not induce me exactly because of the risks associated with pitocin and just being induced in general. Being induced raises your chances of a c-section by 50% I was told.

Because this baby has a lot of problems with her, I thought it would be safer to have a repeat and was really debating whether or not to go that route or still try for the VBAC. My doctor told me last time that it is almost always safer to have a vaginal birth than a c-section.

If you want to add me I'll let you know how it all goes. I'll be having this baby some time in April :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 4:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• The c/s rate is 1/3 in the US. And yes being induced will cause that to go higher, but not just for a vbac, but all births. THere is a group called I-CAN, do a search online and find their website, they have the best most up to date info on vbac's. Alot of Dr's dont like to do this, and if you find one that does it is more likely that they will be sitting there watching for something to go wrong and will make any excuss possible for another surgery. Please do your research. I know alot of women dont prefer a homebirth, but the statistics are amazing if you look at a midwifes vbac rate at home as conmpared to a Dr's at a hospital, 2/3 of vbac will have another one if delivering at a hospital, and only 1 out of maybe 100 will have arepeat at a home birth. Not saying ytou need to do a home birth, but just look at statistics, and dont be pressured into anything you dont want to be. Find a Dr who really supports it.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 4:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Honestly, I understand you wanting to have a vbac but I think you should reevaluate your thinking processes about the subject. You said you'd feel like a "failure" if you have to have another c section but yet you have a higher risk of having another c section because you've already had one so maybe you should talk to someone about your thoughts of natural birth and how you are trying to seek validation through this process. I would hate for you to become depressed if you have to have another c section. I'm sorry but having a c section doesn't make you a failure. I've had two, one emergency and the other planned. Both times I did what was best for me and my baby and I'd never consider anyone that thought of what was best for them and their baby a failure.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2009