How do I know if I was left money in a will?

I led a small church group and an elderly member told me several times he would like to leave me money in his will because he thought I would do good things with it. About a month or two before he died, he took me aside and said he talked to his lawyer and changed his will. I haven't heard from anyone. Is there a way I can check? He is not the kind of person to make stuff up like that.

figaro8895

Asked by figaro8895 at 4:38 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think,whoever's name is in the will,the Lawyer contact's them,but talk to a family member,and ask if they know anything.of find out who his lawyer was,and contact him. Good luck
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 4:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Typically, the attorney contacts people who are in the will. But, there are times they do not know how to contact someone or things get tied up because family members try to stop certain things. Anyway, try to find out who the attorney was and contact them. If you are on good terms with a close family member of his, maybe ask them about it.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 4:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Attorneys must make every effort to find you. They have sources to find folks and if you have not moved then you should be easy to contact. however, as ddry said, it never hurts to contact the attorney if you know who it is. The pastor might know if you don't.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:56 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I feel uncomfortable asking the family - I barely know them and not sure how this would be received. Are there public records or something? My stepdad is the pastor, but I don't think he knows this information.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 5:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Yeah I thought that someone will send you a check but you need to keep in mind that settling someone's estate can take YEARS!!!!!!! it took almost 4 years for my Great Grandmother's estate to get settled because we had to try to find a missing family member BUT, it can still take a while. PLUS if one of his kids or family members decides to fight the will it could take longer. If you know his lawyer you could ask. i think you can also go to the probate court and request his will (in the town he passed in). Personally i would just let it go. I wouldn't go hunting for $$$ maybe he didn't change his will.
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 6:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• If he left you money the executor of the will would contact you. If he left you any life insurance they would contact you and issue you a check. He most likely did not leave you anything.
    Anonymous

• Your friend's final expenses would have been taken out of his estate as well as any taxes or monies owed to creditors. The executor can take a percentage out to cover their efforts, expenses and time. Any lawyers fees areextra. Years back my mom was her father's executor, she didn't take her cut though it involved travel cross state. Grandpa's house was on the market for some time, meanwhile taxes, utilities, heat (to keep the pipes from freezing) and insurance had to be covered, the realtor got a hefty cut. All said and done the estate was less than half of the original amount. when it finally settled. It may take time
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 3:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• although they are SUPPOSED to contact you, the attorney doesn't always do that.
    i, for a FACT, know that i was left money from my grandmother's will. we have a copy of it. but her attorney hasn't done anything with it, and it will be 5 YEARS this november. so, my advice is to try to figure out who his attorney was and contact them. it can never hurt to ask.
    nikkimichele

Answer by nikkimichele at 11:45 AM on Mar. 26, 2009