Anyone else?

I feel like every time my son goes to my in laws house and I come back to get him they are like OMG he ate SOOOOO much, he must have been STARVING?! (like i don't feed him) but then they tell me what he ate the whole time....cookies, candies, puddings, ice creams, etc... and i want to scream NO WONDER HE EATS cause what child with a sweet tooth will turn that stuff down. I hate even leaving him there anymore because it drives me nuts! anyone else have this issue? how do you handle it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No I don't have this issue, but you need to tell them that you don't want him eating all that junk food. You are the mother, and its your child. Tell them that if he is hungry then they need to feed him something healthy. Stand up for yourself. What does your hubby say about this?
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 5:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I don't.... yet. But I see it on the horizon! My baby is only 3 months old so it isn't an issue yet. I've already mentioned NO CHOCOLATE until she is 2. I see my SD go over there and MIL doesn't want to make her follow rules. She even said that "rules are made to be broken" in front of SD once. I flat out told my husband that if she does that with our child then she'll only go over there with us. No separate visits. I feel that telling SD about breaking rules is basically telling SD that we are not in charge and she doesn't have to listen. We had to threaten to now allow SD to spend the night anymore to get the point across. I know that sounds harsh, but what was going on was completely against how we were trying to teach SD. With 2 homes, she's confused enough.

I would make it clear that you don't want him eating so much junk. A little is ok, but he is a growing boy that needs nutritious food more than sugar! GL
    marywilliams

Answer by marywilliams at 5:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• omg i have the same situation as you. the only problem is you can tell them whatever you want, but once hes there you really dont know what hes being fed. my sister babyists for us and i have to constantly tell her, no twinkies, no spam, no donuts, (yes these are all things she trys to give my one year old because she says he looks at her with puppy dog eyes lol) and she tells me ok, begrudginly but i can tell by his diapers that he isnt always getting what i want him to eat. i started sending him with his own snacks and just hoping against hopes that when he is comeing home withou those snacks its because he ate them! its just hard cuz its family, you know, and everyones parenting style is so different. good luck
    Anonymous

• I have the same issue. They'll do it with regular food too. They act like I dont ever feed her. Shes 15 months and if you give her food shes gonna eat it. They did it to me so bad one time. I told them that she had already ate alot one day and i walked out of the room for like 2 minutes and she fed her some food and she ended up throwing up from eating so much. I was furious! I got mad and i think they knew it. I used to go over there quite a bit and now i dont anymore. When they rtry to give her something and i say no theyll be like "mommy dont know what shes talking about" and they try to do it anyways, i'll take my daughter and leave. You have to let them know youre serious. It took them a while to finally somewhat stop. So good luck. Hope i helped.
    hisfuturewifey

Answer by hisfuturewifey at 3:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2009