my daughter is just turning nine months but refuses to eat soilid food should I be worried

she was preemie and has gained weighed good she just hit 15 pounds and was born at 4 pounds 14 ozs I just don't know if this is healthy

mamamonkey90

Asked by mamamonkey90 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Solids are not necessary before age 1. As long as she is nursing well/drinking the right amount of formula, she SHOULD be ok. Being that she is a preemie, the rules might be a bit different, I don't know. I basically say that if a child refuses solids, then they are not ready for them. My son only ate solids sparingly until 11 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Preemie babies are more likely to hit milestones closer to their adjusted age- when they should have been born. She's probably just not ready for solids yet- and that's no reason to worry. She'll let you know when she's ready. Babies don't nutrionally need food until they're a year old- until then, breastmilk or formula provide them all the nutrients they need.

kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 5:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• She doesn't need solids yet. Don't worry. If you like, you could ask her pedicatrician.

Answer by Bmat at 5:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I also have a preemie that is turning 9 months soon. What you have to realize and what took me a long time to realize is that they are technically NOT that age. My daughter was born 2 months early at only 3 lbs and she is about 17 lbs now. She just recently started eating baby cereal and fruit. She goes to therapies all the time for developmental things including the eating. What the thereapists have told me is basically she will start when she is ready. However, from the first post that says that solids are not necessary before 1 is WRONG. BUT baby cereal and fruit are not technically solids. What I have been told to do from experts is start with just a teaspoon of cereal one time a day. Your baby will start by just rolling it around their mouths, and may not even swallow it. But they are getting a feeling of the texture. Also when I started giving my daughter cereal I made it almost like applesauce texture.
    delaineysmama

Answer by delaineysmama at 5:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• She is still only eating a teaspoon full once a day, but she is starting to actually swallow it. Gradually you can add more and more. And she really like Gerber bananas. Just give your baby time. If it really concerns you, you need to talk to your pediatrician, other than that dont be too worried unless your doctor is. GOOD LUCK
    delaineysmama

Answer by delaineysmama at 5:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Most dr.s consider any food before 1 year and while they are on formula or BM as practice foods. Some babies can develop a gag reflex to food if they are started to late because of the different texture. Depending on how early your baby was born, you generally go by those milestones. So if she was 4 wks premature, go by 8 month milestones. Anyway, I wouldn't stress about it because your baby will feel your stress and get stressed herself. Just offer her something a couple times a day and eventually she will take it. Our son never did care for the baby cereals and we tried all the flavors. So we went straight to veggies first and once those were well established we did the fruit. Now he eats just about everything we eat.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 7:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• thanks for your help I have tried all foods and she won't take them she used to chow away at food but got a cold and hasn't since thankyou for your advice
    mamamonkey90

Answer by mamamonkey90 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 26, 2009