For those that rearface...

My dd is 20 months old and just now her feet/legs are hitting the backseat making it look as if it's uncomfortable to continue rearfacing. My mother, mil and SO all want me to turn her around bc she "looks" uncomfy" Keep in mind she is perfectly fine and happy and does not complain. All I keep telling them is that she is safest turned around but then I don't really have information to back it up...& end up sounding dumb. I was wondering if you could show me some websites or books on it. Or am I in the wrong and now it is time to forward face her bc her knees are starting to bend? We go to the DRS this Monday (so i'll get her accurate weight/height) but I would say she is a little over 25lbs and i'm not sure about her height....her carseat weight limit goes up to 35lbs rearfacing.

Also I'm from the state of NY and was wondering if the highway patrol has a website ...I couldn't come across it.

MrsPilat

Asked by MrsPilat at 5:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• State of New York has no specific laws regarding rear facing. Guidelines are 20lbs and 1 year to be forward facing. http://www.iihs.org/laws/ChildRestraint.aspx

Yes, she is "safer" rear-facing as long as she is under the weight AND HEIGHT limits of your carseat.

Anonymous

• angela, here is a link where there are a bunch of videos on the benefits of rear facing

http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=benefits+of+rear+facing&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=EVXJSavlGIXsnQe6opyNAw&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title#

i hope this helps. like the person above me said...rear facing is safest..... but you have to look at your carseat for rear facing limits
    ilovemypnut86

Answer by ilovemypnut86 at 5:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• From http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9916868

“In Scandinavian countries it’s common to keep children rear facing up to 3 or 4 years old and there’s some good data there that proves it’s effective,”

“When I talk to parents some feel that the bigger children are more at risk for leg injuries because their legs are bunched up. But that concern has never been borne out in the data,” says Arbogast. “Besides, remember, the risks you’re trying to prevent by keeping a child rear-facing are head and spinal injuries.” Broken legs are easy fixes compared to the other injuries, she notes.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Here is another good quote form that MSNBC article:
    “I think there’s a notion out there that kids are somehow happier when they go forward-facing,” says Klinich. “But we haven’t found this to be true. Besides, safety shouldn’t be a choice. If your child cried and screamed because you wouldn’t let him play in middle of road, you still wouldn’t let him play in a the middle of the road.”
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• hey angela...check out my cafemom page...i have a ton of info about rearfacing....i would definately leave her rearfacing as long as possible....Aubrey was about 2 1/2 when I had to turn her because she outgrew the weight on rearfacing...she was actually more comfy rearfacing and complains alot more now because she can't put her feet up...lol....if you have any questions let me know :)
    crystaleon81

Answer by crystaleon81 at 6:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• oh and btw as long as there is a inch of hard shell above her head she is fine :)
    crystaleon81

• I Personally watched this video today and will rear face my 16 month old starting tomorrow.
    http://babyproducts.about.com/od/carseats/youtube/rear_facing.htm
    brandnewmama

Answer by brandnewmama at 9:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2009