seeming to be out of control

my sister has a 15 month old daughter that screams, fight , throw things and bite when she can't get her way or you tell her no , what is it that i can tell my sister to do to try to correct this problem?

dbarkley101306

Asked by dbarkley101306 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had a similar problem and the Pediatrician to me to not let my son get his way that, they try and test you, that they see that if they get what they want when they cry they will cry all the time. You got to show them who's boss, and don't let them control you. Show them that they have to be nice to get what they want.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 5:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Nicholeat put it good. She needs to know that she is the boss NOT her 15 month old...if she continues to allow this to happen I would be scared to know this baby as a 4 yr old. The 15 month old probably does these outbursts bc they know mommy will give in to what they want ...your sister can't give in. I would also suggest trying timeouts ...my dd is 20 months old and we haven't really used them so I can't give any advice on them...sorry!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 5:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• ok my son is 13 months and he has just started to do the whole 'throwing himself on the floor' thing when he doesnt get what he wants, so all we do is just ignore the fit. we dont try to distract him, we dont try to change the subject, we just simply go on with our lives as though nothing is happening, or if we simply must say something to him we say 'ok you can be upset if you want to be' and then just ignore it. he figures it out pretty quickly that that method isnt working for him so he better just give up. good luck! =)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 5:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• If the child gets her way, even only sometimes, then she will keep throwing the fits. Even if mom gives in only one out of 10 times, the child will still try. It is like gambling, she is willing to roll the dice and see if it will work!

If mom says "no" and sticks to it 100% of the time, no matter how much kicking and screaming there is, then it will eventually stop.

It is normal for children to have tantrums at this age. 99% of the time it is how the parents react that dictates whether or not they continue.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I agree with Maggiemom; 99% of the time it is how the parents react that dictates whether or not they continue! Very, very, very true!!!
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 6:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2009