Help, my daughter is acting so sassy!

Hello, I am having a problem with my ten year old daughter being a little "sassy". I don't know how to handle this because I know she must be feeling uncomfortable inside to be acting so bossy. She tends to act if though she knows what everyone else should be doing with themselves and doesn't really focus on herself. How can I deal with this? I remind her that I am the mom, but this has been an ongoing problem for well over a year. My son is very respectful and always seems to be sensitive to others feelings. So I don't really know what I am doing that would cause my daughter to act so bossy. I figure hormones might be starting to kick in, but I still need to find a way to let her know she hurts others feelilngs sometimes when she acts like a know it all. I don't like labels but I don't know how else to express to you how she is acting. Please help. Thanks in advance.

paula_31

Asked by paula_31 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• She might be picking it up from someone she knows or .. mostlikely a sassy best friend.. and she thinks its cool to act that way.. or if your husband or someone in the house talks like that .. she could have picked it up from them... you need to put her in time out if she starts acting that way... or make her do chores or take away a privlige like tv or the computer... your the mom and obviously if it's been going on a year she isn't recognizing you as one ,.. or she's just saying f*** you mom i'm old enough to do what i want.... my mom used to tell me that when i talked back thats what i really meant.. and i hated her saying it.. but looking back its pretty much true.. if she thinks she knows it all you need to make her realize that she doesn't... so start the early bed times and no deserts... she's never to old to learn a good lesson.
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 5:04 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Thanks so much for your help! I can think of a certain friend of hers that she looks up to that is very sassy. I do feel like she is saying f*** you mom and I start feeling so angry. An earlier bed time sounds like a great idea!! Many thanks :0)
    Paula
    paula_31

Answer by paula_31 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My daughter is the same way, I think it is the age. I reprimand her and if she doesn't stop I send her to her room. She will usually come down and apologize in a few minutes. Its true they pick up alot of it at school and I also think they are testing the boundaries. Keep being firm and stay on top of it, but also praise her whenever she shows good behavior.
    nannabart

Answer by nannabart at 1:24 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My daughter, now 22, was very sassy. they needs to know that you will not tolerate it and give her a reasonable consequence like no tv tonight. I waited too long and it just got worse and worse. I learned my lesson and now have set clear consequences with my son and do not allow disrespect whatsoever.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:53 PM on Apr. 2, 2009