how can i help my daughter feel comfortable

ok, my 15 yr old went to the jr prom with her best friends cousinon fri. now she was looking at it as just a friend to bring her since she is only in 10th grade.now i know her friend knew my daughter was not interested romantically. on the other hand i'm not sure if the cousin saw it completely different, although i did speak to him ahead and told him my daughter is not aloud to date till she is 16 so this is not to be looked at in that way,so he knew. so i guess at the prom my daughter went off dancing with other people and left him and he got mad. so now her best friend and the cousin are starting problems atschool and she don't wanna go to school. now i told her she was wrong for leaving him and should appologize but explain that he knew there was nothing else ,what advice can i give her?

crazybiotch

Asked by crazybiotch at 5:31 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I think your advice summed it up. Good luck.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 5:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• It sounds to me like your daughter used this boy to be able to go to the prom to be with her friends and I can see why the boy is hurt, and when teens are hurt they spread nasty rumors. I am sorry to be so blunt, but it really sounds like your daughter brought this on herself and is just going to have to deal with the consequences head on.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 5:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I'm sorry but I agree with goaliemom, it sounds like this boy was used. It doesn't even feel good to be used by "friends". Hopefully he will be mature enough to forgive her when she apologizes. It might take some time though cause we all know the mans ego.
    Ilovemy5joys

Answer by Ilovemy5joys at 10:17 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My daughter is 16 and i know as a mom you just want to make her feel better. The young boy needs to stop acting like that, at that age the kids should be able to dance with all there friends and not worry about it! They are not married and should not have to answer to someone mostly since there not even dating! If it becomes a serious problem at school you might need to take it up wth them also.
    ctrinker

Answer by ctrinker at 10:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• yeah, she needs to admit what she did was rude and hurtful and apologize. Tell her to learn from her mistake. She has a long life to live and needs to learn these lessons now to make it easier in the future to avoid mistakes again.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I am a little confused- you told the boy your daughter is not allowed to date yet you let her go to this dance. It WAS a date if he was the one to take her. If she just went with a bunch of her friends then maybe not. I can see how his feelings would be hurt and even if you had a talk with him the action of letting him take her is confusing for him. She needs to apologize to him and her cousin and then let it go. Please don't get involved except to tell her she needs to apologize. Sounds like she needs to mature a bit before going on any more pretend dates. Just some Mom to Mom advice. :) It isn't an easy job.
    mellogal

Answer by mellogal at 7:42 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I suspect you are the 16 y/o by the way you write.
    Anonymous