To OB/GYN or people with medical degrees... Please answer honestly not a clinical answer.

I am concerned I saw a post the other day from a mother who's doc had given her the same advice mine did. Every one said her doc is wrong is it true. Our docs told us both to not completely stop smoking during pregnancy, but to cut back. We were both in our 2nd trimester when we found out we were pregnant and our docs said completely quitting could harm the baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Health

• grneyedgrandma do you even fall under the catagory in which she is asking she ased for medical degrees. Yes If you quite past the 1st trimester by than the baby may be addicted, so you should just cut back and try and smoke no more than 5-6 a day. Quitting completly could cause addiction and added stress neither you or the baby are in a position to handle. So cut back, after the baby look into quitting. Or quitting straight up could cause a number of stress related health issues for you and your unborn
    Anonymous

• it is true because your baby will go through withdrawls...you should quit slowly, but you do need to quite
    Anonymous

• If quitting smoking will create too much stress for you to handle, you are putting your child at a huge risk. Cut back slowly.
    Anonymous

• my dr reamed me out everytime I went in to stop. he even wanted me to take zyban to stop. He told me if I didnt stop he woul not see me no more. I dint do cold turkey but in a week I did stop. The day I went home I started again though.
    Anonymous

• Cold turkey can harm the baby, it's just as addicted as you are. Cutting back and stopping slowly are the best ways to handle it. If you can't stop completely, then at least cut back as low as you can...just do it slowly.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 5:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Wow
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• To the O.P. I stand by my answers, although I have now deleted them. I will not be brought to the level of the Anon and the personal attacks on my page. Please check out the CDC website, BabyCenter.com, American Heart website.. Your Dr's "opinion' is largely in the minority.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2009