At what age do you think its ok for your kids to play alone outside. If you are close by listening?

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 5:44 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son was about 9 years old before I let him out by himself.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I let my 8 and 6 year old play out by themselves.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• It depends a lot on where you live and your kids. We live in a very rural area on a very quiet street (It is a 30 minute drive to get to a traffic light, for example). I know every time a car is on our street.
    My kids could go out with me checking out the window when they were 4 and 5.
    I spent a lot of time out there with them in the years before then. I talked to them about what to do if you see a bear etc. (They are more likely to see a bear than for a stranger to pull up in a car.)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• In the fenced back yard with the door open, I wanna say we started about 5. Now, we just go out and check on him every so often. He still doesn't go where there is no fence alone at 7.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• never any thing can happen maybe when there 12
    Anonymous

• We live in a small. low-crime town on a quiet, side street with a securely fenced yard, and padlocks on the front and back gate, only the side gate is accessable and it's right by the back door. (The door we all use all the time.) I let them go out without me there all the time when they were about 5 or 6, but I was always watching out the door or one of the windows. Any younger and I was right on top of them.
    Anonymous

• In the fenced backyard if the area is a good one, I'd say 4.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I started letting mine out unsupervised at about 4. We live in a very small community with a fenced yard. I leave the back door open so I can hear them.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 6:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My older kids are 6, 7 and 8 and we started letting them play out front alone last summer. There are almost always other kids out so they are never really alone. Now I just tell them to go ride their bikes and they are gone forever. I check on them every half hour or so. They usually end up at their friend's house and I have to go find them. My 6yo isn't allowed off the porch unless her older brother and sister are with her. My 3yo is allowed in the back yard alone but not the front yard and can be out with her older siblings if all the windows are open and she stays right in front of the house or on the porch.
    We live in Chicago and I've lived in this house for 20 years. This neighborhood is no different then when I was a kid.
    This was a gradual thing. They have earned my trust over the years to be allowed this privilege. Anytime they show they can't be trusted the right is revoked and they are restricted to the porc
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2009