what age can you..

how many months until i can give my baby juice? and when should i stat him using a sippee cup? what should i put in it?

thanks!

JulesMommy1008

Asked by JulesMommy1008 at 5:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think its 6 months for juice (ask your dr to be sure) and we took the bottle away at 1 year
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I don't think you are supposed to give juice in a bottle ever. But my youngest in already 7, so the standards change. But last I heard juice was only supposed to be in a cup b/c there is too much sugar in juice and drinking it from a bottle was/is supposed to bad for their teeth. I think they can have juice in a cup as soon as they can drink from a cup. But I always added water to my kids juice, 1/2 and 1/2 @ first then slowly added more juice.
    Hope this helps.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 6:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Actually, it's fine to give a baby juice in a bottle. Our daughter has been getting juice since she was 2 months old, diluted pear juice. BUT, it was ordered by her pediatritian as well. If there isn't a reason, such as constipation, I would check with your pediatrician first. I don't see why when your LO starts fruits why he/she couldn't start juice as well. Definately check with your baby's doc first though! ;)

~melody~
    Lillysmomma1024

Answer by Lillysmomma1024 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• No juice in a bottle. They don't need juice at all but my pedi said by 6 months you can put diluted juice in a sippy cup to get him used to it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• There is really no value in giving an infant juice, unless its to help with constipation and then it is recommended you water it down and keep it to 4 oz per week. Juice, even 100% juice has a high concentration of juices. When they can hold a bottle by themselves they can generally get a handle on holding a sippy coup. Even our 5 yr old only gets about 18 oz of juice per week. Generally we have the kids drink milk or water, especially when its warm.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 7:17 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Why does your baby need juice? We started our son on a sippy cup with water at 6 months. If you give your LO juice, dilute it, two parts water to one part juice. Again, there isn't a NEED for it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:39 AM on Mar. 25, 2009