plan B pill

i saw they were trying to get the age to get the plan b pill without a prescription lowered to 17, and honestly i think it should be any age because ya know what accidents happen and i think if it was readily available then there would be less unplanned teen pregnancies. what do you think??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree and the Plan B, does NOT terminate an existing pregnancy. It helps stop implantation, kinda works the same way as the BC pill but quicker. As long as it's not used as a form of regular bc I see nothing wrong with it for people over 16. What if she was raped, she should have that option just like an adult that was raped. I don't know if it would lessen teen pregnancies but it may help. In most states 16 is the age of consent so they should be able to have options like an adult.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• tyfry is right...it works using the same hormones as birth control in a faster manner to change the lining of the uterus to make implantation unlikely, but will not "undo" implantation if it has already occurred.

I don't think it should be legal for minors to get without a prescription because you cant get ANY other medication containing those hormones without a prescription...it is obvious that there are dangers in abusing it and I think teenagers are the least likely to educate themselves on the dangers before getting it repeatedly. I honestly question whether or not adults should have free access to it for this same reason, but understand the time factor involved.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Since you can't get normal birth control without a prescription as a minor I don't see why this would be any different.

I think as a society we've given up on encouraging women to wait to have sex, and things like this just continue to encourage them to have sex. I would love to see the world make a turn where teen sex was discouraged, and teens were taught more on waiting and being ready than being "prepared" with the proper birth control. JMO.
    Anonymous