k, another question ladies lol

I'm 6 months pregnant and my hubby and i were just talking about "after the baby" , we want to wait a while before having another and I'm not naive, I know i can get pregnant while breast feeding...my question is what's the best birth control out on the market nowadays? ( i havent been on bc since i was 18 ( gained too much weight on the pill).
We thought of condoms and we will use them, but we are both a little afraid we'll end up throwing caution to the wind so to speak or getting lazy and forgoing one.
I'd rather weigh my other options

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 6:25 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Talk to your doc. theres the shot and IUDs but you just have to choose the one thats right for you.
    gettingfat89

Answer by gettingfat89 at 6:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I had the same problem to. I gained alot of weight on the pill but omg i gained even more on the shot so i would look into somthing else bsides them to if ya was gaining wait on the shot. I know at my doctors apptments in the room there is a poster hanging up that has all the dfferent kinds to choose from and there are tons so i would ask your doc if she or he has any suggustions.
    2009mommytobe

Answer by 2009mommytobe at 7:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Well, you can go with the Mirena, it lasts 5 years, but please make sure that you do your research on it first. A number of women have bad side effects, like myself. I have heard varying stories and my SIL is one that has done really well with the Mirena. There's also the Implanon. It lasts for 3 years and it's a rod that is implated just under the skin in your arm. It is new-ish on the market and I don't know much about it yet. And there's the Mini Pill. It's a progesterone only bc pill that is safe when you are breast feeding. I took this after I have the Mirena removed. It served it's purpose until I was finished breastfeeding. Other than those options, like you said, there's condoms. And there's spermicide and the sponge...although those do not have great numbers in preventing pregnancy, but if used with condoms it's double protection. Good luck on your search of reliable BC. Speak with your OB too about it!
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 7:23 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I had implanon. Its placed right under the skin.it worked wonderfully! I didnt have to remember to take anything.Its a progestern only bc. I didnt gain any weight. When we desided to try for a baby i had it removedo small insion. And a month later we sucseeded!
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 3:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2009