Tubes

Has any of your chidlren had tubes put into their ears? My dd dr said if she has one more infection then we are going to a ENT dr. I'm super scared

Madelyn_Marie

Asked by Madelyn_Marie at 6:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My oldest had tubes. It's a really quick outpatient procedure. My daughter didn't even have an IV. She was her normal self that same day. Don't be scared. It kept her from having nonstop ear infections and taking round after round of antibiotics, so to me it was well worth it.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My DD has not had to have them but I work in surgery and do about 10 of these a day! Very quick procedure. You will probably wait longer to have it started than it will take. Takes about 10 minutes. They still breath on their own. No tube in their throat or anything like that and usually pretty content when they wake up. They just have an oxygen mask on and breath a little bit of nitrous type stuff. Its very normal for you to be nervous but really you don't have a need to be.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My 4 yo has had 3 sets of tubes and my 2 yo has had one set. It's really not that big of a deal. My 4 yo has also had his adenoids removed and his tonsils removed....the tonsillectomy was a bigger ordeal, but he did really good. Just stay calm yourself, don't freak out or anything...if your child sees this it will make her nervous and upset. Just ask a lot of questions when you see the ENT. Has the pedi determined a cause for the repeat ear infections?? My 4 yo has terrible seasonal allergies. He gets infections even with the tubes in his ears and is on medication to help with the severity of the infections. My 2 yo continuously got infections (he got his tubes when he was 11 months old) from having bronchitis and RSV. Good luck! I am sure your DD will do just fine!!
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 7:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2009