Are other countries as sue happy and money hungry as 'we' are here?

I have always wondered this, for intance our country tends to be very money hungry, now dont get me wrong I am a proud American, but I will say that there are a lot of people here who are just plain old sue happy. And what about CS how does all of those things work in other countries? How come we never hear about people like this in Europe for instance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I know a few stepmommies in England, and Australia. From what I'm told CS and custody is insane there too.

And actually my Aunt is involved in a legal battle in Liechtenstein or Austria I'm not sure exactly where - but her husband's business partner died last year. The widow expects to be paid salary and keep husband's shares. Aunt and her husband have been very generous - but can't afford to pay the man a salary (between 10-14k/ mo) when he's gone and no longer generating the business. This is all b/c the man didn't have life insurance!!! It's insane. So yes greed happens in Europe too!

My Uncles family has bickered about his will and their parents will for some time and this goes in through Germany etc.

Friends in America FROM England have also exhibited similar actions.

I will say they do it with more TACT than we do...
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 7:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Absolutely not. We are just greedy in America. Most people over seas understand the value of money and that you have to work for it.
    Anonymous

• If cs stands for child support, then there are plenty of greedy people in Canada too as far as that goes! I've had some friends/family go through divorces from hell so it's not uniquely American! However I do think that people get sued less here... the law is set up so it is not so easy to sue just anyone.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I certainly hope not.

My daughter is in the National Jr. Honor Society and I have had a HORRIBLE time trying to find a place that would let her volunteer. Over and over I kept hearing the word "sue." I think there are many facets of this country that are suffering because people are so afraid of being sued.

Shelters, soup kitchens, donation stations, animal shelters etc..nobody wanted her to volunteer even if I went with her.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 9:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• jackalswife....why would they be afraid of letting your daughter volunteer that seems really messed up is she very young or something???? And if you don't mind where do you live because i my mil is the head of a charity organization that is ALWAYS searching for people to help....

momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 10:11 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Jackal that's odd, the local animal shelter here offered for me and SD to volunteer this summer as long as I was with her. How old is she, if she's in honor society I would think she is older, they offered when SD was 13 but she's 14 now
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 11:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2009