I am having bed wetting issues

Mom with three kids my son is 5 he wets the bed and his pants on porpous any thoughts

molly352

Asked by molly352 at 6:50 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I know it sounds cruel, but sometimes natural consequences work wonders in teaching children. Tell him if he deliberately wets the bed again, you'll make him sleep in it, and won't change his jammies or sheets for a week.

This being said, I assume you have already had him checked with the pediatrician to be sure there's no physical problem causing this.
    Anonymous

• Are you sure is on purpose? My only thought is my son who is 5 wets the bed. Sometimes nightly sometimes weekly and sometimes montly.
    I have been taking him to a Chiropractor, who is working on his lower back. Due to his back being out (L2 vertabra) Makes it so he doesn't know when he has to go. Therefore, he never wakes up. So it's a decision you need to think about. Is it really his fault or could he just be out of whack?

GOOD LUCK~ HUGE diffrence doing what I am doing. We go months now before he wets again.
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 7:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I can understand you thinking him doing it on purpose throughout the day when he's awake, but how sure are you that it's on purpose when he's sleeping? It's completely involuntary at that point. My bedwetter is approaching 5 years old. We've stopped allowing drinks 2 hours before bedtime and make sure he goes before bed. Also, cut down the sugary stuff.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My daughter, who is now 17, was a nightime bedwetter. First, she is fine now. So, your son's problem is temporary. I researched this extensively. My daughter was out of diapers for day time before she was 3. It seems that some children's brains don't mature in a certain area that "tells" them to wake up when they have to pee. I put pull ups on my girl/let it be until sleep overs became an issue. I told her that this is something she and I need to figure out because she will be missing a lot of sleep overs because of her bed wetting. I bought a book/I wish i could remember the name of it. But, it  doesn't matter. Every night before she went to bed I made sure she went to the bathroom. And, I had her tell herself that  she will not wet the bed,  that she will wake up .

trish262

Answer by trish262 at 8:31 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I bet he is not doing this on purpose. Unless you have witnessed it, you should not assume. I realize its frustrating. My daughter is 6 and is finally not wetting at night. Some kids have smaller bladders, some kids sleep very soundly, some kids dont empty out there bladders when they go. Some kids have physical problems. Get a doctors advice. Put a rubber sheet on your sons bed, buy some extra cheap sheets and dont humiliate him. He already knows its a problem without being reminded. You are his mother the only person he can depend on to love him regardless. Im sorry but the first poster advice is just plain mean. Please give him a break, he is only 5.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My son is 8 and still wets the bed. His doctor said it is perfectly normal and to not discipline him for something he cannot control. She also suggested that a common cause of bedwetting in children is a condition called encopresis, or something like constipation. I've researched this a bit and still come up with nothing because my son is not constipated (encopresis, I found out, more commonly causes peeing in the pants while awake, but can also trigger bedwetting at night). You might want to talk to him and ask him if he IS doing it on purpose, if he says no, take his word for it, ask your doc if anything could be wrong. If nothing's out of the ordinary, then just do what I do, remain calm and change sheets daily. Honestly, that's all we can do 'til they grow out of it. Remember, they WILL grow out of it. Be patient with the little guy, I'm sure the last thing he wants to do is disappoint you!
    justinnmattsmom

Answer by justinnmattsmom at 10:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• WOW first off DO NOT make him feel bad for doing it. And second off. It may not just "go away". I am 20 and just barely stopped when I got pregnant. I was having it happen about once a month until i was 16 then it was every few months and then i got pregnant and its been a good year since I've done it. I can't tell you why I did it- I had a special test done to my bladder to help make it larger- which actually just made it weaker. Then i took the nasal spray and I was even given an antidepressant to make me sleep lighter. THere are also bedwetting tablets out there.
    Take them to the DR. if he says its nothing. go to another dr. and if you get the same response, then all there is to do it teach them to deal with it and set up a routine. when it happens have them change their sheets themselves so they can be discreet about it and that way nobody really has to know. Get the plastic sheet to protect the mattress. BE NICE
    Anonymous

• Has he ever not wet the bed? If he just started this, something could be bothering him. Or is it possible that he has been molested. That is one of the signs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Mar. 25, 2009