over stimulation

My son is just now 4 months old, and he has trouble being out in public. Whenever there are a lot of people around he starts to scream frantically and I don't know what to do. Even when we go to family get togethers he does this. He is usually fine if I'm holding him, but when someone takes him from me is when he starts to scream. My mother in law says I have him spoiled thats why he won't go to anyone. Any thoughts??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can't spoil a 4 month old....he just isn;'t used to different people yet...maybe he just gets a little overwhelmed.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Some kids get overstimulated very easily. You may want to try wearing him in a sling. He will feel close and can kind of "hide" in the fabric. Also, when you are holding your baby often people will say "can I hold him!" when you are wearing him they are less likely to feel free to ask. There is no reason why a 4 month old needs to feel okay about being passed around. Keep him close, you are doing a great job and you are NOT spoiling him!
    If MIL says he is spoiled, just smile and hold him close!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I hate how at family get togethers, people feel the need to "pass" my daughter around the room! It drives me crazy, and she doesn't like it either. You just hold on to that little boy and tell your MIL that you can't spoil a 4- month old! New people are scary to adults sometimes, let alone babies!
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 8:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Maybe he just doesn't like your MIL...lol. I don't believe in the old myth that you can spoil a baby by holding them too much. I always picked up our babies (3) when they cried and they are not clingy or spoiled. I think some babies are more shy than others and just don't like strange adults. Even people they see occasionally can seem like strangers to them each time. Let's face it, would you like to be passes around from person to person? I never encourage people to hold any of our kids and once they get to crawling or walking, I would discourage people from picking them up if I could tell they didn't want to be held.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 9:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• If you can, try to step outside or somewhere quiet and non-visually stimulating for a few minutes when he gets that way. That's pretty normal. Also, stranger anxiety can be setting in; plus, they go through a major "Mommy-Only" phase around now. We're still going through it with our 7 month old. Sometimes, even Daddy gets rejected; only I can take him. It can also be a personality thing. Some babies just don't like anyone else to hold them. Not much you can do about it. BTW, there's no such thing as a spoiled 4 month old. You're doing the best thing for your baby!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:29 AM on Mar. 25, 2009