What would you do?

If you had a husband that didn't do anything with the kids? I have that problem and it irritates me. We have two sons 8 & 11. He does nothing. Rather be outside rebuilding an old car. He does nothing to help me with them being disciplined either. Otherwise he's a good husband and provider. I guess all men have their quirks like we do.

sweetmom1007

Asked by sweetmom1007 at 7:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i would talk to him
    Anonymous

• Mine has periods where he will start to ignore ours, my boys are 5 and 7, and will be "busy" doing other stuff, I tell the boys to go help him. My 7 yo helps his dad with his Jeep, heve yours go out and learn about cars, hell they can at least pass him tools and stuff. Maybe just he needs to learn how to bond and doesnt now how or realize that they are old enough to start doing "guy" stuff. GL, I know it is frusterating.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 7:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My dad is a car nut too. lol. He rebuilds old cars to their original state. When we were growing up my brother LIVED outside in the garage with my dad. When my brother was 8 or 10 years old he was changing the oil and learning about motors and building.

He grew to love it just like my dad and is SOOOOOO smart about all that kind of stuff. He is a talented electrician now b/c of all the time learning in my dads garage.

Send those kids out with dad. If may take some time for them to get use to gettin their hands dirty but its good for them to learn what dad loves. And it can help them in the future. lol. some bonding time may be just what dad and boys need. lol.

My son is 5 and I will soon be taking him to my dads garage (his paw paw) so he can learn the tricks of the trade. I want him to know what his paw paw has to offer.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I would ask him why he does this. Is he doing it on purpose? Has he told you before that this is just the way it is? If he has not said this I would bring it to his attention and let him know how you feel, he may not be aware that it bothers you, or that to you it is a big deal. In all relationships communication is key and I find that couples often are holding feelings inside which can cause problems. Just talk to him, tell him what you want.
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 7:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I'm sorry this is happening to your family.

My dad was (is) the same as your husband. My mom used to cry for him to spend time with us growing up. He just said, "I can't relate to them now, maybe when they are older."

Well, my brother is 38 and I'm 42. Dad still doesn't relate well with us. We both love him, but I have never felt very important to him. I think it was even harder for my brother because he's a boy and a boy needs that closeness with their dad. Another man can step in, but "there's nothing like the real thing, baby..."

I just don't think some people are cut out to have kids. No real interest.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:38 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• React in reverse. Instead of "nagging" him to do something with the kids. Encourage the kids to go help the Dad work on the cars. Alot of times it's not WHAT they're doing, it's just that they're together talking.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I should of said in my statement before that my father had me and my twin brother when he was 57. Yes, He was old but always did things with us every weekend up until his last year of life when I was 17. He died 4 days before my 18th birthday and I still miss him 21 years later. I loved my daddy and I'll always have sweet memories of him. Love to all you mommies who have husbands who really cherish their babies.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I would try to talk to him about it. Being that they are both boys, maybe he could include them on rebuilding the older cars. I know that my husband is looking forward to showing our son all around the garage when he gets a little bit bigger. Maybe he just needs a little direction.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2009