Anyone breed convict cichlids? *fish*

We have had a male convict for awhile now, and just added a female convict. Well we had no luck with that one.. She just wasn't old enough yet to lay eggs. So we bought another female, and she laid her eggs yesterday. Now today all of the eggs are gone? Could she just have moved them? I know that convicts are very protective, and that they rarely eat their eggs. Can anyone help??

ali_1107

Asked by ali_1107 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Pets

• Is the male still in the tank. I believe the males of all species eat the eggs. Not exactly sure though. I use to have a book on breeding fish. We tried to breed tiger barbs and they would never hatch. The temp of the tank has to be sooo perfect. I think that was our problem.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Yes, the male was still in the tank. Which thats how you keep them.. I know that both parents are VERY protective of their fry. We keep our water temp at the same, all the time. It is between 76-78, which is the temp that they have to be in. Convicts are the most easy fish to breed! But I know that they both are very protective. You don't have to take out the male, because he helps with everything as well as the female! But thanks!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Some cichlids are mouth brooders. They carry their eggs, and small fry, in their mouths to protect them.
    itsokmomshere

Answer by itsokmomshere at 8:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• when i had them we had to seperate the babies from the adults cause they do eat their young, they sell this little thing you hang on the side of the tank its like a net fish tank, the net part sits inside the water and thats it. and youll get tons of fish! oh my lord we had i swear hundreds in there, we started giving them away.
    Anonymous

• We have bred cichlids for years but are taking a break right now. Check out some cichlid forums for info, lots of very knowledgeable people to help with any questions.
    It doesn't take much for a fish to eat their eggs if they are stressed, and sometimes for no apparent reason at all...
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:11 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Someone once described breeding convicts as "just add water and fish", and this is pretty accurate! An excellent fish for beginners to start breeding, but just be careful what you wish for... these fish breed at the drop of a hat and will produce many young. The male and female will pair off, and do a mating dance that involves shaking their heads at one another. They prefer to lay their eggs on the inside of a flower pot, and both parents will usually dig a depression in the gravel around it. A breeding pair will vigorously defend their territory against encroaching fish, and will quickly push all the other inhabitants of the tank to the opposite corner. They are one of the very best when it comes to parental care, and will sometimes bury newborn fry when they are threatened, so don't be alarmed if they go missing for a day.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 11:03 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• well convict fish from what i just was reading eat the eggs the first time a lot i would not worry just let them be and in about 4 weeks they should be about ready to spawn again and you might want to look around they sometimes relocate the eggs and the babies somewhere else the eggs take only about 3 to 4 days to hatch
    tired703

Answer by tired703 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Well we never did find those eggs! So I know that our fish indeed did eat them. But now just today I was feeding my fish and noticed how different my tank seemed to be. My female was fanning down on the rocks and wouldn't budge for any food. So I peeked my head on the other side of the tank and noticed that I have not only eggs, but wrigglers!! I am soo excited! They were literally bouncing around on the rocks! Its adorable!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 4:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2009