How old were your kids when...

They started cleaning their own mess? Mine are 31/2 and almost 2. They always clean their own messes, but recently they've been supose to be cleaning their room and it's been 3 days and nothing but a fight. They usually do it fine. Are they just to young?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 7:38 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nope, not too young. Mine always have. I think its good for them.

Instead of making them. Change it into a game. I play the "how quick can you do it" game.
    Turn on one song, see if they can finish by the time the song is done. If they do, they get a sucker. (or whatever)

Be sure to lavish them with thanks and praise for a job well done. 2 & 3 year olds usually do it just to hear how proud their parents are of them and to get a hug.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• if my son makes a mess then he cleans up the mess. hes 2
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My kids cleaned at that age too. But they still needed help, and if it was a big mess they needed a little direction on where to start. Like ok first pick up all your blocks, now all your trucks and cars, not pick up all this mess, they got overwhelmed and didnt know where to start so they never did it. KWIM? Lots of praise and good job's and a fun game or something after they get done.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 7:44 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I try to get my 1.5 year old to clean his messes, like when he takes all the clothes out of the hamper, I try to get him to pick them all up and put back into the hamper. I don't know if he understands that he's cleaning up his mess though versus doing a task.
    starandseen

Answer by starandseen at 8:27 PM on Mar. 24, 2009