does it matter what type of pet you have while pregnant?

i have 5 chinchillas and my mom keeps telling me that they wont be aloud around the baby. and i keep wanting to ask my doctor but i keep for getting. would this make the baby sick in anyway. since i play with the chinchillas now?
or would it even effect the baby when he comes?

buggy24

Asked by buggy24 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Pets

• The biggest thing with pets I've heard while prego is not change the liter box. Some thing with the chemicals. They do say with infants a cat will accidentally sufficate it trying to get the milk I had cats and personally had no problem it's just what I've been told.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• As far as animals go especially cats...people are misunderstood. The thing with cats is its not the chemicals in the litter but if you touch the poop, they worry about toxoplasmosis which is ONLY in outdoor cats that eat rodents. If the cats are indoors you have nothing to worry about. As far as chinchillas go I don't see why that would be a problem. Just tell your gyn and they might do the toxoplasmosis test anyway. If you haven't been exposed, then you can't catch it. playing with them now won't hurt you. just dont clean any litter. And I think they would be fine around the baby if they are tame now, why not?? I have 2 pitbulls and 2 cats and people were all freaked out about that too, but whatever, theyre my pets and theyre good:) Hope this helped...if not, I guess you could google it:) congratulations BTW!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2009