Birth control and breastfeeding.

My OB gave me a prescription for Ortho Tri cyclen lo. I just had a baby 3 weeks ago and she told me I could start taking it at 4 weeks even though I'm breastfeeding. I just talked to a friend whose doctor told her she could absolutely not take Ortho tri cyclen if she is breastfeeding, as it will dry up her milk. What birth control are you on if you're breastfeeding?

danielp

Asked by danielp at 7:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My Dr said the same thing, anything with estrogen in it will dry you up. I was on The mini-pill, it is progesterone based only, but it is a bit more picky too. The directions say to take it within 2 hours the same time every day. If you are late by an hour or 2 then you can spot, I never spotted more than a few hours though, not even a whold day. And I really liked it alot better. I didnt have trouble gaining weight with it, and the side effects were non existant. I have had so much troble with every other type of bc but this one. LOVE IT!! Just set an alarm to take it the same time every day.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 8:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• The "lo" version should be fine. Estrogen is the worry.

That said, some moms do have problems with pills....and the minipill does have to be taken on schedule.

Anything NON-HORMONAL is fine. Depo, IUD, condoms, diaphragm, natural family planning.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:17 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I just spoke with my doctor about this... as I am deciding what birth control to go with .. as I am breastfeeding..
    She told me the only pill that is optional to take when you are breastfeeding is the "Mini Pill" is that what you're taking? If not, I would definitely talk with your doctor again. From what she told me - you should not take anything with Estrogen in it....... another option is an IUD or as said above, condoms, etc. She did say not to rely on breastfeeding as the form of contraception as it is different for everyone.

KellyJC

Answer by KellyJC at 9:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I'd suggest you do a bit more research before starting it. kellymom has some good info on birth control and breastfeeding at http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/birthcontrol.html First, does it have estrogen in it? If it does then it is not compatible with breastfeeding, it will most likely decrease your milk supply. " For most mothers, progestin-only forms of contraception do not cause problems with milk supply if started after the 6th-8th week postpartum and if given at normal doses. However, there are many reports (most anecdotal but nevertheless worth paying attention to) that some women do experience supply problems with these pills, so if you choose this method you still need to proceed with some caution. "

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2009