how much do insurance people make?

I have been in the insurance business for 13 years and work for a small insurance company as a commercial/personal lines underwriter making $36,000 yr. Is this average? Or should I be making more?

paytonpants54

Asked by paytonpants54 at 8:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• Checkout salary.com for your answer...you can find guidelines tailored to where you live.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• briefcaseHello, My name is Traci.  I worked in the medical insurance field for 15 yrs and was recently laid off of a company I was with for 10 years.  Your salary will depend on your experience and the company you work for.  With the economy right now people aren't wanting to pay what we are worth.  I actually started my home business with a medical discount program.  Check out my homepage for info...Good luck!

Traci1993

Answer by Traci1993 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I know Underwriters that are making $60k.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 11:23 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Smaller companies tend to pay less. Money isn't the whole thing though. Many companies are slashing medical benefits. What do yours look like? What is the work environment like? I've know a couple of people in the insurance business in bigger companies and it was cut throat. If you've been thirteen years at the same company, you must like something about our job there.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 3:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• i was at an agency for 8 years and then left and took and underwriting postion at this company which i have been at for 1 1/2 yrs. They are awesome as far as time off i was just curious if I would make more money at bigger company down the road? When i was looking for another job and gave my salary requirement of $40k the other agencies looked at me like I was crazy. Is that really asking too much to make as an insurance agency CSR??
    paytonpants54

Answer by paytonpants54 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 27, 2009