Best way to cut caffeine out of my diet?

I'm ready to cut caffeine out of my diet for good. I will still have pop once in awhile but as things are now, I'm dependent on it, lol. It's taking a toll on my health. I'm irritable, anxious, restless when I sleep, and it's irritating my IBS. I've tried to cut it out cold-turkey and it was too hard with the headaches and dealing with kids all day.

Should I just decrease it to 8 oz a day for awhile and then quick cold-turkey after that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Health

• Wean yourself. I have myself down to one or two sodas a week. I used to drink a couple of sodas a day. If you go cold turkey you will get wicked headaches from the lack of caffeine. Drinks lots of water. Remember that coffee,tea and chocolate all have caffeine in them. I know what you mean about the caffeine bothering IBS, I have IBS and if I have too much caffeine I am in pain for days.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Wean it out. Start by cutting out the last one of the day, replace it with water. Then drink one less two or three days later, then get down to one cup in the a.m. My general rule of thumb is I cut out everything after 4, then down to 2, then down to 12:00, until I just stopped completely. Your going to need to replace it with another beverage or item. If you need a soda then have a caffeine free one. You don't actually say where your caffeine is coming from coffee? Tea? Drink decaf or herbal replacements.
    I reduced all caffeine down, then out of my diet. I do drink one cup of caffinated tea in the a.m. No coffee.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Yeah you may still get headaches, hydrate, hydrate,hydrate. And treat your self as if your in a headache mode. Get plenty of rest, and use Tylenol if necessary. Take long hot showers and use ice on the base of your neck. That will constrict those blood vessels like a caffeinated beverage.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Cut it down gradually. Give it about a month on each level. Don't forget that chocolate also has caffeine and decaf coffee and probably decaf tea also has some. My son quit cold-turkey, but he did have headaches while doing it.

Answer by Bmat at 9:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2009