Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about military and taking in kids....

My hubby is a Marine. Well his brother(15) back home is getting into a lot of trouble and all that. He wants to take him and have him live with us. If we did that, would we sign him up as one of our dependents? How does that work? Sorry, probably the wrong place to ask this question but its the only place I could really think of. If anyone has any advice, please let me know! Thank you.


Asked by AshlynsMama2708 at 8:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Yes, you can do that but I think your husband would have to get dependent sponsorship from his commander. As long as you have proof that it is in the best interest to the child and the parent's are willing to do this (or unable to provide proper care), then it will be easier. Good Luck.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 9:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

  • If he can get custody signed over to him then he can claim him as a dependent. If thee is another way I am not sure what it is. You should be able to find out more through family services on your base.

    Answer by ctrinker at 10:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

  • wow, your h would be responsible for the boy's behavior. I hope he understands that. It could be a problem for him if the boy acts up. He might want to really consider what it means to tatke the boy in. I'm impressed with him wanting to help though. I didn't mean to sound so negative.

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

  • Oh no, he's not a bad kid, he lives in a bad home. And has very bad friends. I don't think it would be a problem getting his dad to sign over the rights. Its his little brother, he needs a positive Male influence in his life. Thats why hubby and I decided that we will take him if he's willing to come.

    Answer by AshlynsMama2708 at 1:48 AM on Mar. 25, 2009