Would you take it as a compliment.....

if someone told you they liked your child's name so much that they named their dog the same name? My daughter's name is Samantha-Kay and we almost always call her Sami-Kay. A lady at church came up to me and said, " I love your daughter's name so much, I named my dog that!" And I'm thinking, "great, you think I gave my daughter a good name for a DOG!" Of course I didn't say that. I knew SHE thought she was paying me a compliment. I just smiled politely and said, "why thank you." Ok, so what about you? Would you feel complimented?

Mishelly728

Asked by Mishelly728 at 9:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Its a total compliment, people LOVE their dogs, they are their babies in many instances. She was probably dumb to tell you and it comes off kind of weird, but in her eyes, she named her new baby the same as yours because its such a great name. No harm intended at all. Its a cute story you can tell your daughter =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• You did the right thing. No harm no foul.
    Anonymous

• FIRST OF ALL - what kind of dog does she have. I mean, if she has a bulldog I would be offended. If she had a golden retriever, I would not be. If she had a chihauhau - I would be ******* mad. You know, not all people have kids or their kids are grown, and their dogs become their children. So I would not be offended, unless their dog is a bulldog or a chihauhau LOL
    tash2texas

Answer by tash2texas at 9:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• lol. that's kinda funny. But, it is not unusual for someone to do this. Some zoos name their animals after famous people. I guess it just depends what kind of animal it is.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I would be like "what??" I dont' know if this is was to be mean though, a lady at church I am sure she meant no harm.
    three-for-now

Answer by three-for-now at 9:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• It wouldn't bother me... Our neighbor named her daughter Abby & my mother loved that name so much, but couldn't have children anymore, so when our mare foaled my mother named the foal Abby. I think it is a compliment, it is just not the norm. And for some people their pets are their children... I honestly wouldn't be offended, it is still a compliment... JMO
    Inkedmommy007

Answer by Inkedmommy007 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• hahaha..my daughters name is Alexis..one of my friends named their dog lexis..another friend named their dog lexi..and then one of my friends used Alexis as their childs middle name...so..i think/consider it a compliment//cuz they all said it was cuz of my daughter where they got the idea..i do however also feel like they stole her name..lol..but..a compliment more or less..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• lol thats awkward. I would not care. I like the name Lexi for a girls name but my husband would not let me name our daughter that so I named the dog that lol. I think you handled the situation great.
    tinaandavasmom

Answer by tinaandavasmom at 10:54 AM on Mar. 25, 2009