not sleeping at night..

Is it even possible for a baby as young as 6 weeks (this began at about 2 weeks old) to "mix up" her days & nights? I find it hard to believe.. but my little one just cannot get sound/peaceful sleep at night unless she is sleeping on or right next to me....
During the day she sleeps very soundly and peacefully on her own (in her swing or bouncy chair...or on the bed)
Any thoughts/recommendations? :)
thanks!

KellyJC

Asked by KellyJC at 9:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's actually easiest for newborns to be the ones messing up their days and nights.....a lot of women wait a couple of months to try to get them on a proper schedule. try to make a habit of good night things when you want her to know it's bedtime....for example....feed at the same time every night....maybe give her a nice soothing bath, read....do calm things and lay her down at the same time. my son is out like a light at 9 because we set that as his bedtime....and it's awesome because around 8:30 you can tell if we've missed something because he's like, "hello, I'm getting tired, better do this quickly cause I'm gonna crash!"
    Anonymous

• My son had his days and nights mixed up for months!!! It really does suck but what I did that helped is lay him down anyways and let him cry it out.. my doctor recommended this actually. She told me to check on him every 5-15 minutes and make sure he hadn't vomited or anything. It sucks so bad but it really worked! It takes about a week and a half but now he sleeps great on him own and will actually cry until we put him in his crib to sleep. A lot of people will say it will scar the child by not coming to their rescue but that has NEVER been proven. What IS true is that your baby knows that you come to feed her when she's hungry, you change her when she's soiled, and that you respond to her needs. A little crying won't undo all of that so don't believe people when they say it will. A great book my doctor recommended was "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Marc Weissbluth, M.D.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 9:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• ditto.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 9:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Also if you do decide to pick her up, stay in the dark and don't talk to her. She needs to know that even though she is being held, it is not playtime. I would offer her breast or bottle before bed... make sure she has a full belly.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 9:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• my dd had the same problem. it took us a while to get her straight. and yes they can get their days and nights mixed up. try keeping her awake for about 3-4 hours straight before bed time. mine was used to all the sound of the day, so when we turned things down for her at night, she didnt understand and wanted to be held. so we just kept the sound going til she feel asleep at first. now we have a whole new routine. She gets a warm bath, a warm bottle, wrapped up snuggly in her fave thick blanket. (with the blanket she doesnt notice when i lay her in her crib. usually i will take the shirt that i am wearing off and lay it in the crib with her. the scent helps her stay calm because she thinks i am still close to her. She sleeps by herself in her crib all night. she wakes up once to feed, i change her (keeping the lights low and no sound other than her heartbeat bear(those things are GREAT) wrap her back up, rock a lil...........
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 9:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• She is still really on the schedule of eating every 2-3 hours.. so how to determine when "bedtime meal" is, is confusing.. or non-existent! :) And most often than not, she falls asleep after being fed - no matter what time of day..
    However, at night, she wakes up after about 15 minutes and lays there spitting up, grunting, and has her eyes wide open for hours.. (she is burped just as much as any other time.. so I attribute these to stress, not lack of burping... )
    Also, she sleeps very well during the day and it is light out...... ?
    ??????? :)
    thanks

KellyJC

Answer by KellyJC at 9:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• here is what I had todo with my son and most moms say not to but it worked for us... I would wake him up at 8 every night and keep him awake for at least an hour if I could get more great if then an hour was ok. Then he would go to sleep. I did this for a week straight and thats was all it took. He was back to sleeping at night. worth a shot..
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 10:48 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Normal! Rule of thumb for survival with a newborn....time does not exist. **grin** Just feed her when she's hungry, hold her when she wants to be held. You cannot spoil her by doing these things.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Sounds TOTALLY normal. My son refused to sleep anywhere but on one of us from the day he was born. You might want to try reading "The No Cry Sleep Solution". It took a few months to get my son's schedule set, but we managed to do it. Hang in there!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:16 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My son had his days and nights mixed up for about two months when he was born.

Try moving her swing into her bedroom and put something over the window to make the room as dark as possible. If she falls asleep in the bouncy chair, move her to the swing but try to put her in the swing when she's tired but not yet asleep. Then try to slowly change her sleep schedule so that she is awake more during the day (mainly closer to the time that you want her to go to bed at night). You could also get a white noise maker for nap and bedtime to soothe her.
    ShadowRaven

Answer by ShadowRaven at 7:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2009