Did you take a prepared childbirth class before your first baby, & was it worth it??

My doctor is aggravating me about taking a childbirth class. I am implementing the Bradley Method by reading the book. The class that my doc wants me to take has Lamaze, a totally different method of birthing. I'm trying to deliver oh-natur-al.. If I'm going to take this class I have to sign up soon, being I only have 9 weeks until due date.

StellaNicole09

Asked by StellaNicole09 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Honestly, I didn't take a class or read a book. I got into delivery and the nurse said breathe through the contractions like this and I did. However she told me to breathe really helped with the pain during contractions. When I had my second, I asked the nurse, how am I supposed to breathe? She told me and it worked again. So again, that is my plan for the third!
    If you don't want to take the class, don't. If you feel prepared with what you are doing I wouldn't worry about what the doctor says.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I didn't take it with either child. And everything worked out perfectly
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 9:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• It couldn't hurt to be more prepared, alot of people told me that it helped them to take classes, but then they didn't know what it was like to go through it without taking the classes, so how can they really judge wether it helped or not? Anyway, I didn't take any classes and I did just fine. It's really up to you, every labor is different, but you will get through it no matter what you choose, or don't choose. It's going to be painful but it's only one day of pain until a lifetime with your wonderful new baby
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I didn't take a class with my first but I will for my second. My first was a c-section, so it wouldn't have helped. But my second is going to be a VBAC, so I would like to be more prepared for what that's going to be like.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 9:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I didn't and I did great ask anyone who was there
    Momma2be012408

Answer by Momma2be012408 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I didn't take a class with either of my boys and had both naturally. I am glad we didn't spend the time or money on the classes.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 10:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I didn't. I had an unassisted home birth with my first. In my case it was for the best because my body was able to tell me what to do. Had I been at the hospital I would have likely had a harder time because I would be depending on the doctors and nurses to tell me. I feel that I would have most likely shrugged off cues given by my body because it was different than what I was being told. As far as a drug free vaginal birth goes - it's not about trying, it's about doing. It will hurt. Bad. You just have to grit through it. It really comes down to will power and stamina I think.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 12:49 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• No. I just breathed through my nose and out my mouth during contractions. Really helped me.

Anonymous

• Thank you guys! The power of innate is awesome.. looks like thats what most of you used..
    StellaNicole09

Answer by StellaNicole09 at 2:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I didn't go to a before class but i would definetly recommend if the hospital nursong group for after baby is born that really helped me and i met other moms
    good luck choose fast
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 9:44 PM on Mar. 25, 2009