how do I get rid of these tiny ants I keep cleaning they keep coming?

eigrow

Asked by eigrow at 9:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Get some ant bait, either the granules you can sprinkle around OR IF YOU HAVE little kiddos and/or pets get the kind that they go into & get the poison and take it back to the ant hill, then they kill off the whole group of them! Good luck!
    Inkedmommy007

Answer by Inkedmommy007 at 9:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• We just had the exterminator come! We have the same ants I believe. Squash one and smell it. See if it smells like citranella. These ants kept coming in my kitchen on the counter no matter how many times I would clean it during the day. The come when it starts to get warm and sunny. Anyway the guy just came today and put little gel dots on my counter. He also put out two traps (one on either end of the counter) that has the gel in it. The ants will eat it and carry it back to the nest and share with everyone else. In about two weeks they are to be all gone. We also had them spray the exterior of our house. My husband sprayed last year and it helped for a little while but they came back. My mom swears my dryer sheets. She rips them in half and lays them where the ants are. For some reason they stay away.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Thank you so much I will try the dryer sheets now and call the exterminator in the morning. I am sure its the same ones.
    eigrow

Answer by eigrow at 9:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• sugar and borax laundry soap
    bergencounty

Answer by bergencounty at 1:53 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• We spray around the outside of the house and draw a thick sidewalk chalk line around the doorways and windows. They won't cross the chalk line but you have to redo it when it rains.
    erika.lyn

Answer by erika.lyn at 9:58 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• OK... did you try the black pepper and cinnamon? They say that really does work but I don't know how you'd get it all the up to where they're coming in at. Other than that, I'd reccomend moving! lol ok... sorry... my bad... That was a really bad joke! hehe
    shellakers

Answer by shellakers at 12:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I tried everything, from the exterminator to the cinnamon to rubbing all kinds of things on the counters, I ended up getting a product called Terro, it comes in a little bottle with little bait circles that you put the poision on and just place them around where the ants are or you can get bait stations they go into. This works wonders and is cheap, a bottle will last us all summer and at the grocery store it costs under $3. I did also find where they were coming into the house and spray insectacide on the outside so they wouldn't want to cross it (on our foundation) and when I see the ant hill I usually pour water down it several times and they move.
    INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 9:31 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Hi,

It's Cafe Sheri from CafeMom's Home & Garden Buzz.

Come on over and ask Celebrity Handyman Anthony Gilardi from HGTV your ant question. He visits CafeMom, gives FREE advice, and answers home repair and improvement questions for CafeMoms every other week in Home & Garden Buzz. He's really thorough and awesome.

Ask Anthony your home repair question here.

Cafe Sheri

Answer by Cafe Sheri at 6:36 PM on Mar. 27, 2009