Religious differences

How do you religiously raise a child when daddy is the church going, bible by his bed Catholic and mommy is tree hugging all natural wiccan. We do not have a problem with the others religion but how do we deside on things? Church on sunday or not? Prayers before bed? Thanking God for the food or the Goddess? Celebrate Halloween or Samhain, Easter or Ostara, Christmas or Yule?? Where do we go when we die?? How do we do things around or with our child when many of our beliefes are oposite each other???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have my own beliefs, DH is Christian. I try to be open-minded about things when he assumes our daughter will be raised Christian. I hope to be balanced and take the good of both of our beliefs. My DH is not ultra Christian and is open minded so we do discuss things and ideas. Feel free to PM me and we can talk about it some more.

One good thing about it is that the children will grow up knowing that people have different beliefs but it is acceptable.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 9:17 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I am Wiccan and Dh is Lutheran (non church goer)... PM me if you like to chat, I am raising a gs and we are trying to teach him to pick his path on his own thru questions...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• We have the reverse. I am the Christian and my husband is the atheist (though he doesn't believe in Gods or Goddesses has much respect for "Mother Earth" and Wicca). We use a combination. Before meals we say a "prayer" my husband found, thanking Mother Earth for our food (Earth who makes, us our food, Sun who makes it ripe and good, dearest Earth and dearest Sun, joy and love for all you've done!). Before bed we sing a bedtime prayer to the kids which is similar (Lady of the moon, Lord of the sun, protect me and mine, now that day is done). We homeschool so during the day I have Bible class with them. Then in the evenings we have family worship (Bible stories, work on memory verse, singing, games) and family prayer (Christian). If the kids have questions, we all discuss them as a family. The kids and I go to church on Saturday (I'm Adventist), sometimes my husband comes. We make it work.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 9:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• To be married, I believe you should be seeing eye to eye on religion. I don't get how people of different religions agree onthings. I couldn't compromise my Christianity for someone else.
    Anonymous

• I'm Buddhist, dh is an atheist. My parents are Christian, dh's parents are Hindu. Needless to say, our kids are exposed to a variety of beliefs and we really like it that way! First of all, we have decided not to teach that any particular religion is the 'right' one. We tell them that different people believe different things- for the 'afterlife' question we told them that some people believe in Heaven or Hell, some people believe we are reborn as another person, and some people believe that our energy goes back to being part of the universe, but that no one knows for sure- and we encourage them to think about what THEY believe. Dh and I agree that we want to raise them to know the various beliefs and to follow their own path... it honestly is not an issue and I'm pleased with how the kids are receptive to the different beliefs that make up our family.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:48 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• For our case, it's up to him. I teach him as much as he needs to know about Christianity to not get beat up at school, and beyond that, I answer his questions honestly and tell him someday he'll decide where he fits best.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I don't see why you can't expose the kids to both religions and to also give them the go ahead to experience other relgions. So let your DH take the kids to church and you can share your love of the Goddess. Share and expand their minds. I think it'll be a good thing!!
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 10:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• You do it all & let the child decide which, if either, fits for them when they're older.

When questions arise, instead of saying "This happens" or "that happens', reply with "some people believe....." and "well, I think..... and your dad thinks..... but nobody really knows for sure...."
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• You should be teaching your kids about both religions and when they get older they can make their own decision.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:33 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I think you and your husband should decide how you want to raise your kids....Honestly, I personally think that kids gain spirituality by being taught a particular faith when they are young. I think it is actually unfair to "let them decide" because under that circumstance it is harder for the child to take either religion seriously. Even if the child is raised with one set of beliefs, they can still be taught about the other religion and then as they grow up they may chose to pursue the other belief system, which would obviously be okay with you!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:32 AM on Mar. 25, 2009