Was your child reading ...real reading....half way through kindergarten?

munch12502

Asked by munch12502 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• My oldest is not in kindergarten yet. However, I taught kindergarten and 1st grade. Developmentally, it is completely appropriate for a child to not really get the hang of reading fluently until the last half of first grade. Some kids read early and that's great. Some kids learn quickly when they start school and that's great. Just everyone keep in mind that there is a very great range of what is "normal" when it comes to learning.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 12:46 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My oldest was. She started kindergarten barely knowing her ABCs and by Christmas she was reading short books on her own. By the end of the school year she was reading chapter books with no help (at a 2nd grade level). She was still 5.
    My son, on the other hand, is almost done with 1st grade, is 7 years old and still struggling to learn to read. He can read simple stories like they give in kindergarten but not much more. He just discovered Dick and Jane books and loves them because he can actually read almost every word in them.
    My 6yo is in kindergarten right now and does not know how to read. But, then again, this school doesn't really work on reading in kindergarten like at the school my oldest went to.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• She could pretty much read anything that was spelled phonetically if she took the time to sound it out. However, in the English language, that's not very many words! There are more sight words than anything else, or at least it seems that way when you are teaching a child to read!

Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My 6 year old is reading all by himself, he's in kidergarten. He loves to read!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Ooops...he's 5 and will be 6 in May.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My son was. He was reading short stories in preschool and moved on to 2nd grad chapter books mid year. The end of Kindergarten he was reading 3rd grade books. He is in 1st grade now and is reading at a 4th grade level. My son is in the gifted program so this is not typical. Most kids will be able to read short stories by the end of Kindergarten. If they are not they will learn in 1st grade.
    Anonymous

• My oldest taught himself to read at age 4. My youngest started reading about half way through Kindergarten.

Answer by Bmat at 9:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Well, he could read the words from the Word Wall but not actual books. He didn't really learn to read until the beginning of 1st grade. He was slow to learn how to read, or he pretended not to know how to read. My sons school really started pushing reading the second half of Kindergarten.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My son reads what the teacher has named popcorn words. Words like a, the, I, am, and other words that always seem to pop up in stories. When we sit down and to read a story I run my finger along following the words and when we come to one of the popcorn words he says it. He's 4, 5 soon. My daughter is 3 and is recognizing some of the popcorn words too.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My oldest daughter was reading in Pre-K, got discouraged by her Pre-K teacher I took her out of Pre-K Home Schooled her a little more, and when she got in to kindergarten, she was reading on her own a head of the rest of the class, in second grade according to her SAT stats she was reading on a 6th grade level, she is now in 3rd grade and can read a book (chapter book) in about two-three hours or less depending on the number of pages.
    My youngest daughter who is four is trying really hard to copy big sis and can read some simple words.
    Dare2Bme71

Answer by Dare2Bme71 at 10:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2009